TP111280 - Technical Support Specialist
#TP111280 Technical Support SpecialistInitial Review Date: Thu 9/9/2021
For the safety and well-being of the entire university community, the University of California requires, with few exceptions, that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus before they will be allowed on campus or in a facility or office. For more information visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/2021/07/ucs-covid-19-vaccine-policy.html
Position available through UC San Diego Temporary Employment Services (TES). Employment through TES is an excellent way to gain valuable UC San Diego experience and get your foot in the door for career positions. TES employment includes medical coverage, paid vacation & sick time, paid holidays, as well as training and development opportunities!
Using basic IT knowledge and a welcoming manner, the IT Tech Support Specialist responds to basic IT questions, establishes a rapport with users, solicits from the user the specifics of the IT problem and provides day-to-day consultation, training, and instructions. The IT Tech Support position resolves the issue, using language that conveys technical information to non-technical end users or refers more difficult IT issues to other IT colleagues. The incumbent will also provides basic application training, maintains documentation for both IT and end user perspective, is responsible for employee on-boarding and separation, as well as computer setup, removal, and re-location, and network printer maintenance.
Operating Systems supported: Current versions and one previous to the current version of both Windows and Mac OS.Software used: Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, iOS & Android, Google AppsEnvironment: 25 servers, 200+ workstations, 200+ laptops, and more than 50 networked devices/peripherals.
The position documents all IT issues in our IT ticketing system and installs workstations, laptops, printers, scanners/fax machines and other peripheral equipment, and addresses connectivity issues to UC San Diego IT resources.
- Installs, configures, and maintains computer workstations, peripherals, scanners, and - printers.
- Responds, primarily in person at the Help Desk, to a wide variety of user IT questions. Interaction with users also occurs via email and phone. Establishes a rapport with user, soliciting specifics of IT issues.
- Documents incoming requests in the web-based IT service desk system and assigns to other technical staff. Updates status of tickets. Runs reports from ticketing system.
- Diagnoses/troubleshoots hardware and software problems, provides technical information using non-technical language.
- Researches solutions by accessing on-line resources such as web-based technical groups and relevant publications.
- Assists in the setup and troubleshooting of remote access issues and issues related to access to department servers, workstation resources.
- Provides support for wireless computer network access.
- Monitors ticket system and alerts team leader to unusual situations or backlogs.
- Installs software patches, updates, and fixes as required.
- Assists with tracking software licenses using a spreadsheet or database. Maintains inventory.
- Assists with backups, anti-virus, and security measures.
- Sets up equipment for videotaping classes and events. Videotapes & edits.
- Trains student workers on videotaping equipment and procedure.
- Responds to same day faculty requests for peripheral AV equipment related to classroom instruction.
- Maintains equipment check-out system for laptops, video cameras, and all other equipment.
- When requested, contacts a variety of vendors regarding equipment.
- Evaluates needs and works with Multimedia Specialist to determine potential solutions to A/V service requests.
Excellent customer-service skills & experience interacting with IT users in person; ability to establish both credibility and a rapport with users. Experience in a customer service environment, with same day or immediate resolution of problems
Experience with the installation, upgrade and maintenance of Windows 10 and Mac OSX Sierra; familiar with Windows and Mac OSX networking protocols and terminologies.
Experience installing computer workstations, including desktops and laptops, printers, scanners, copiers, hand-held devices, and other peripherals.
Working knowledge of network and wireless technology, TCP/IP networking concepts including configuration of workstations and printers, and peripherals, including the ability to identify and troubleshoot network connectivity problems using standard industry tools and network media.
Experience with audiovisual equipment, videotaping, editing, and live streaming or the ability to learn.
The ability to handle multiple tasks and to prioritize requests, seeking out supervisory direction when necessary. Collaboration skills; teamwork skills.
Strong organizational skills with demonstrated experience independently setting priorities, producing timely results and meeting deadlines, in a multiple demand work environment while maintaining a high level of attention to detail and accuracy.
Background check required.
Hybrid schedule with on-site and remote work required.
This position has some Sat/Sun hours, scheduled in advance.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.