Senior Director of Nursing, Oncology - 119419
As a federally-funded institution, UC San Diego Health maintains a marijuana and drug free campus. New employees are subject to drug screening.
#119419 Senior Director of Nursing, OncologyInitial Review Date: Mon 11/7/2022
UC San Diego values equity, diversity, and inclusion. If you are interested in being part of our team, possess the needed licensure and certifications, and feel that you have most of the qualifications and/or transferable skills for a job opening, we strongly encourage you to apply.
For the safety and well-being of the entire university community, the University of California requires, with few exceptions, that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus and influenza before they will be allowed on campus or in a facility or office. For more information visit: Flu Vaccine Mandate / COVID Vaccine Policy
Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 11/04/2022. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.
The Senior Director of Nursing, Oncology is part of UC San Diego Oncology and Moores Cancer Center at UC San Diego Health, one of only 50 National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers in the United States. This designation is reserved for cancer centers with the highest achievements in cancer research, clinical care, education, and community contributions. Moores Cancer Center strives to stay at the forefront of emerging cancer research in a patient centric environment. UC San Diego Health and UCSD Oncology are routinely ranked as the highest levels in San Diego and the Country both by US News and World report and Vizient. UC San Diego Health is also a Magnet Designated hospital and believes in the Magnet principles in excellence in nursing and a commitment to our nursing team.
Reporting directly to the Chief Administrative Officer of Oncology and Radiation Therapy Services, the Senior Director is an experienced executive nursing leader providing administrative oversight and operational control for all areas of nursing at UCSD Oncology. This includes all clinic operations, oversight of all infusion operations, nursing for radiation medicine, and both medical and surgical advanced practice providers.
The Senior Director also has a dotted line reporting relationship to the Chief Clinical Officer/Chief Nursing Officer for UC San Diego Health and sits on the Nursing Executive Committee.
Patient CareThe Senior Director of Nursing is actively involved in ensuring optimal patient outcomes through effective leadership and/or provision of patient care delivery in assigned nursing unit(s) or area(s). The incumbent will be responsible for maintaining high standards of patient care in all oncology operations, ensuring nursing staff standards are upheld and sustained. The Senior Director also creates and promotes an environment for a shared voice in nursing practice and an exchange of ideas to continually improve nursing and patient care. Accountable for the quality, safety, and cost-effectiveness. Consults and collaborates with other health care professionals to coordinate the management of patient care. Serves as a resource to staff, physicians, students and others.
Administrative LeadershipThe Senior Director of Nursing will be a strong strategist, a data driven executive, and a seasoned program developer, manager, and change driver. The position has oversight and responsibility for all nursing department budgets ensuring that the operations are optimized, efficient and cost effective. The Senior Director will recognize that excellence is a continuous journey that requires constant change and improvement.
Emotional IntelligenceThe position requires excellent interpersonal skills and very high levels of emotional intelligence. Culture is paramount to the success of UC San Diego oncology and the senior nurse leader will need to interact with and lead multiple constituencies both in direct and matrix reporting relationships, and superior, peer, and subordinate colleagues. The incumbent will proactively partner with physicians and staff to ensure effective care is delivered throughout the oncology and radiation therapy operations. The physician dyad partnership model is one of the key ingredients for collaborative success.
Oncology Representative and SpokespersonThe Senior Director will also represent oncology nursing on UC San Diego Health nurse executive committee and work closely with the Sr. Director of Ambulatory Nursing, the Chief Clinical Officer and other cross-functional committees. Will also have a strong external presence in community and professional organizations and societies.
Incumbent oversees through subordinate managers one or more large, complex departments or business units with multiple functional disciplines/occupations, OR manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact upon the organization as a whole, such as most or all of a campus, medical center, UCOP or the UC System. Has significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Oversees through subordinate managers the accountability and stewardship of department resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets.
Participates with leadership to develop short- and long-term strategies. Fosters change management skills in subordinate leadership to promote an agile and flexible workforce. Represents nursing on cross-functional committees; has external presence in community and professional organizations and societies. Oversees large, multiple departments. Ensures that quality nursing care is provided and in alignment with internal policy and external regulations for the medical center and/or health system.
* Oversees and is fully responsible and accountable for all areas of high-quality clinical nursing at UCSD oncology. Responsible for the delivery of the highest care standards for our acute patient population.
* Provides strategic and operational planning for staffing, fiscal and material resources. Participates in developing and implementing new systems, policies and programs. Develops, implements and monitors the short- and long-range financial plans for patient care services for oncology care and/or health system. Collaborates with senior management on fiscal planning proposals.
* Forecasts workforce planning and talent development needs. Assists in the development of annual staffing plans, based on organizational strategy, patient acuity, benchmarks and staffing data. Allocates resources efficiently, in calibration with quality objectives.
* Develops managers and staff to create a psychologically safe shared governance structure building the collaborative culture of UCSD oncology where the collective whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Ensures patient care unit environments have a shared voice in nursing practice and the exchange of ideas to continually improve nursing and patient care outcomes.
* Provides guidance for nursing and patient care services regarding bargaining unit issues and contract negotiations. Facilitates and oversees resolution of issues and consistency in approach on items that impact the organization overall.
* Ensures compliance with TJC, CDPH, Magnet and all regulatory and quality agency requirements and professional standards.
* Represents oncology on and participates in system-wide committees and strategic planning with senior leadership across services (e.g., in-patient, ambulatory, Rady Children’s, and cancer center) to develop plans and systems for coordination and/or integration of care for all patient populations for the medical center or the health system.
* Ensures ongoing mentorship and relevant leadership/professional development programs are provided for nurse leadership across the medical center and/or health system. Works with senior leaders to develop a succession planning pipeline for nurse leadership.
* Participates in professional associations (e.g. NCCN), community, and with elected officials to share insights and perspective on the healthcare needs of patients and their families. Examples include healthcare costs, overcoming economic barriers, funding for patient education and educational resources to meet forecasted staffing needs.
* Ensures the development of core competencies, assessment plans, and tools for oncology and/or health system. Works with clinical educators and subordinate management to evaluate and improve core competencies in nursing care. Provides for employee professional growth opportunities and promotes a culture open to change, and effective in teamwork and collaboration.
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing and eight or more years of relevant experience.
- Registered Nurse in the State of California.
- Substantial experience in large ambulatory oncology setting, ideally within a NCI-Designated Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- In-depth knowledge of a broad scope of relevant regulatory requirements, as well as legislative, accreditation, licensing and compliance environments.
- Advanced knowledge of hospital operations in a multi-hospital setting; knowledge of appropriate professional standards for the multidisciplinary team.
- Advanced communications and interpersonal skills to promote an effective model of shared governance among multiple disciplines.
- Ability to motivate and engage all levels of staff regarding patient care programs, strategies, and organizational mission and values.
- Advanced leadership, fiscal and operations management skills. Ability to develop nurse leaders in their adoption and promotion of a shared governance model of collaboration.
- Ability to develop a systems strategic plan and implement that vision across a large, complex organization.
- Master's or advanced degree in Nursing, Health Administration or relevant area preferred.
- Five or more years of progressive nurse leadership experience, including supervision of nurse managers.
- Five or more years of progressive experience within a NCI-Designated Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- Certification in relevant clinical area.
- Must be able to work various hours and locations based on business needs.
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check and pre-employment physical.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
If applicable, life-support certifications (BLS, NRP, ACLS, etc.) must include hands-on practice and in-person skills assessment; online-only certification is not acceptable.
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, the only Burn Center in the county, and and dozens of outpatient clinics. We invite you to join our team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
To foster the best possible working and learning environment, UC San Diego strives to cultivate a rich and diverse environment, inclusive and supportive of all students, faculty, staff and visitors. For more information, please visit UC San Diego Principles of Community.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.