Program Director, Physician Advisor Services - 127191
#127191 Program Director, Physician Advisor ServicesExtended Review Date: Fri 2/9/2024
UC San Diego values equity, diversity, and inclusion. If you are interested in being part of our team, possess the needed licensure and certifications, and feel that you have most of the qualifications and/or transferable skills for a job opening, we strongly encourage you to apply.
UCSD Health is searching for a data-driven, collaborative, and innovative Physician Advisor who will also serve as the Program Director for the Physician Advisor team at UC San Diego Health. The Physician Advisor will partner with other physicians, care managers and members of the inter-professional team to ensure that care is being delivered in the appropriate setting, at the appropriate time and offer facilitation/resolution to issues related to the appropriate utilization of health system resources. The Physician Advisor will work at the individual case level, the aggregate level and will be facile with the EHR. They will contribute to development of optimal hospital flow, safe transitions of care and the overall mission of UC San Diego Health. In order to manage utilization effectively, the PAs will fully understand the complexities of billing and coding and also assist in resolution of charity care and clinical overrides requests. These positions directly report up through the ACMO of Inpatient Care.
Additional responsibilities for the role includes:
* In compliance with CMS, provide second level review for Care Managers by providing guidance on admission status and ongoing care utilizing guidelines, medical decision making and best practice
* Serve as resource, liaison, and provides guidance to other physicians regarding admission status, appropriate utilization of hospital resources, transition of patients with barriers to discharge
* Provide leadership of utilization management functions
* Serve as an expert on clinical criteria (Milliman / InterQual / other guidelines)
* Act as a liaison to medical staff
* Support patient flow
* Perform chart audits
* Provide coaching and education to physicians regarding clinical documentation
* Work collaboratively with the inter-professional team within the University of California and outside agencies to achieve desired outcomes
* Provide education to medical staff on topics relating to utilization management, compliance, and accurate and specific medical record documentation
* Responsible for the Physician Advisor schedule; operational structure; and identifying, monitoring, and reporting out on key performance indicators (KPIs) for the program
* Partners with ACMO of Inpatient Care and other health system leaders to develop and deploy the strategic plan for the program; responsible for evolving the PA program, as appropriate, to meet enterprise needs
Must be a CA licensed M.D./D.O. or will obtain CA M.D./D.O. licensure within 6 months of hire
A minimum of five (5) years in medical practice, exclusive of post-graduate training
Board Certification in primary clinical specialty
BART or BLS at time of hire with commitment to get BART w/in 6 months ofhire date
Previous experience working within an Academic Medical Center
Previous experience leading a physician advisor program
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check and pre-employment physical
Pay Transparency Act
Annual Full Pay Range: $0 - $0 (will be prorated if the appointment percentage is less than 100%)
Hourly Equivalent: $0.00 - $0.00
Factors in determining the appropriate compensation for a role include experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, and other business and organizational needs. The Hiring Pay Scale referenced in the job posting is the budgeted salary or hourly range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position. The Annual Full Pay Range may be broader than what the University anticipates to pay for this position, based on internal equity, budget, and collective bargaining agreements (when applicable).
If employed by the University of California, you will be required to comply with our Policy on Vaccination Programs, which may be amended or revised from time to time. Federal, state, or local public health directives may impose additional requirements.
If applicable, life-support certifications (BLS, NRP, ACLS, etc.) must include hands-on practice and in-person skills assessment; online-only certification is not acceptable.
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, the only Burn Center in the county, and and dozens of outpatient clinics. We invite you to join our team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
To foster the best possible working and learning environment, UC San Diego strives to cultivate a rich and diverse environment, inclusive and supportive of all students, faculty, staff and visitors. For more information, please visit UC San Diego Principles of Community.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.
UC San Diego Health maintains a marijuana and drug free environment. Employees may be subject to drug screening.