IS Lead Finance Analyst - 112201
As a federally-funded institution, UC San Diego Health maintains a marijuana and drug free campus. New employees are subject to drug screening.
#112201 IS Lead Finance AnalystInitial Review Date: Fri 11/12/2021
For the safety and well-being of the entire university community, the University of California requires, with few exceptions, that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus and influenza before they will be allowed on campus or in a facility or office. For more information visit: Flu Vaccine Mandate / COVID Vaccine Policy
UCSD Layoff from Career Appointment: Apply by 10/13/21 for consideration with preference for rehire. All layoff applicants should contact their Employment Advisor.
Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 10/25/21. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.
This position will remain open until filled.
Candidates hired into this position will have the option to work partial remote.
The Information Services (IS) Lead Finance Analyst, under minimal supervision, provides a wide-range of high-level and comprehensive financial analysis and complex fiscal management for multiple Information Services/Technology departments and projects. Financial responsibilities include, but are not limited to, analyzing complex expense reports; projecting and tracking department and project expenses; general ledger reconciliations; participating in short and long-term budget planning processes; travel and disbursements accounting; developing, monitoring and maintaining internal financial controls; preparing journal entries; year-end fiscal closing.
Independently resolves discrepancies; forecasts and identifies problems; formulates solutions and makes recommendations in accordance with departmental, university, and agency regulations. Develops and analyzes budgets and provides guidance and assistance to faculty and staff. Provides information or reports that will be used in resource determination and allocation, and makes resource recommendations (e.g., budgeting, staffing). Participates in long-term goal planning for the department and health system. Advises IS management on complex purchasing issues, including sole-source justification, multiple funding sources, verification of appropriateness of funding sources used for particular expenditures, etc. Performs independent reviews, research and analysis of system wide policies and initiatives with budgetary implications to the department.
Incumbent will lead the development and implementation of the department’s internal controls, policies and procedures, and serves as liaison with the Campus and Health Systems Accounting. Responsible for leadership and supervision of IS Finance staff, recruiting, team building, workload management, staff development, performance assessments, discipline and coaching. Trains Info. Services staff on appropriate finance and procurement workflows.
Serves as liaison to project oversight committees and assists IS leadership in preparation of project status updates, coordinating information from design teams, end user focus groups, standing Health System committees and vendor implementation reviews.
Nine (9) years of related accounting and/or finance experience, education/training, OR a Bachelor’s degree in a related area plus five (5) years of related accounting and/or finance experience/training.
Experience and advanced knowledge in finance policies, practices, and systems.
Ability to effectively present information verbally and in writing in a clear and concise manner. Excellent communication skills; ability to write and prepare clear and concise reports, presentations, and correspondence; ability to interact effectively with diverse levels of personnel over the telephone, computer and in person.
Demonstrated ability to learn and quickly understand complex processes and procedures, prioritize heavy workload, meet deadlines and cope with peak workload periods. Perform well independently with minimum of direct supervision in unstructured situations, and apply creativity and originality in effective problem solving.
Effective interpersonal skills with peers throughout the organization; strong service orientation and critical thinking skills; and attention to detail. Ability using organizational skills to multi-task in a high volume environment. Excellent negotiation and consensus-building skills; ability to recognize and deal with politically sensitive situations diplomatically.
- Oracle Financial Cloud, Concur, and EPSi Budget Manager software experience.
- Extensive financial background in general accounting, financial analysis, and capital planning demonstrated by a combination of education and professional experience.
- Thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP/GASB) and proven leadership and management accomplishments in a large, complex higher education or private industry organization.
- Thorough knowledge of cost accounting principles and practices, operational flow, and work simplification theory, demonstrated by substantial skills in organizational, problem solving, negotiation, decision making, research and analysis
- Strong ability to independently gather required information to organize, and perform financial analysis assignments. Ability to perform independently with minimal direction in unstructured situations and apply creativity and originality in problem solving. Ability to analyze complex fiscal issues and information, recognize potential impact, identify alternative solutions and make recommendations.
- Proficient ability using spreadsheet and database software for complex financial analysis, fiscal management, and financial reports. Solid skills in applying computer technology as a problem-solving tool in financial modeling, analysis, budgetary management, and other administrative functions and situations. Knowledge of various computer software programs, such as Oracle Enterprise, Maximo work management system; ability to understand and utilize strengths of these computer systems.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of internal control practices and their impact on protecting University resources.
- Proven understanding of various computer software programs and ability to utilize systems to maximum benefit. Ability to apply information technology experience in requirements gathering, system design, implementation and management; ability to review and understand automated financial data programs to recommend/revise/develop appropriate systems.
- Strong leadership skills in addressing diverse problems, managing multi-functional and diverse programs; strong understanding of organizational structure, resource management and process improvement. Ability to effectively interpret University and Departmental policies, procedures and practices. Strong management and supervisory experience to direct professional and staff.
- Must be able to work various hours and locations based on business needs.
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check and pre-employment physical.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, the only Burn Center in the county, and and dozens of outpatient clinics. We invite you to join our team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.