Alvarado Team Members
We invite you to consider a career with the region’s only
academic medical center & San Diego’s #1 health system.
The transition of Alvarado Hospital to UC San Diego Health will be a significant benefit to our community. We recognize this doesn’t mean it’s stress-free for the dedicated employees of Alvarado Hospital who may be asking if they will be hired by UC San Diego Health.
Please note: We invite you to apply! We want you to apply! We need you to apply!
As with any applicant of UC San Diego Health, Alvarado Hospital employees who apply will still need to be interviewed, and pending a job offer, go through our pre-employment process. Our desire is to assist you in your candidacy for a career with us.
UC San Diego Health has a legacy of providing exceptional patient care and cultivating an organizational culture based on our core values of Quality, Caring, Integrity, Creativity and Teamwork. Our hope is that as many Alvarado Hospital employees as possible become part of our legacy – at our new hospital UC San Diego Health East Campus
To learn more about the transition, click here for a list of anticipated questions and answers.
HOW DO I APPLY?
All current UC San Diego Health job openings are posted at employment.ucsd.edu/uc-san-diego-health. To make your search for jobs located at the former Alvarado location easier, please click here. (Note: It may take a few weeks after the announcement of the transition to post all positions.)
When applying, you will be asked how you first learned about the position. Please select “Alvarado Transition.”
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER I APPLY?
Qualified applicants will be contacted within two to three weeks for an interview. If offered a position, a Talent Acquisition Specialist will contact you regarding the job details, salary, etc. It is anticipated that job offers will be effective for a January 1, 2024 start date.
IF I ACCEPT AN OFFER, WHAT’S NEXT?
A Talent Acquisition Specialist from our Human Resources Department will reach out to you to share the details of your offer and go over next steps.
A Talent Acquisition Coordinator from our Human Resources Department will facilitate a number of emails to you, which includes:
- SIGN your offer letter and job description via DocuSign.
- AUTHORIZE the request for a criminal check via Universal Background.
- SUBMIT your education, licensure, and/or certification(s) that are requirements of your position, if applicable.
- COMPLETE all fields from firstname.lastname@example.org. Initiate your I-9 form, which is required to confirm eligibility to work in the U.S., if applicable.
- AUTHORIZE a release of your Alvarado Hospital occupational health records. Click here to download instructions to complete the occupational health process.
Your recruiter will invite you to an onboarding appointment on a Tuesday soon after your acceptance of a position with UC San Diego Health. Our Onboarding Coordinator from our Human Resources Department will email the exact day, time, location, and other instructions.
WELCOME TO UC SAN DIEGO HEALTH! VIDEO (30 MINUTES)
The following “Welcome to UC San Diego Health” video should be watched after you attend your HR Orientation meeting, as well as any time after to remind you of important details regarding your employment.
UCSD email: Within a couple of weeks after attending your Human Resources appointment, you will be receiving an email sent to your personal email address from email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org regarding establishing your I.S. access credentials required to activate your Active Directory (AD) and work email account. Please follow the instructions as soon as possible.
If you have questions related to your computer access after completing the Information Services E-Learning Course, we are here to help. Every Wednesday in November and December between 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM and 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM, you can log in to the following Zoom Meeting to receive immediate assistance from an I.S. Team Member.
Zoom.us or the Zoom App
From Zoom.us or the Zoom App, click on Join A Meeting and enter the Meeting ID below:
- Meeting ID: 869 0102 1977
- Passcode: ISNEO
If you need assistance at any other time, please see our I.S. Contacts and Resources PDF
Union meetings: Employees whose position is represented by a labor union will be scheduled to meet with union representatives for 30 minutes as part of the HR Onboarding & Orientation during the first week of your employment in January. If represented by a union, your contact information will be provided to the union as they will need to send you pertinent information.
For any questions regarding your HR orientation, you can reply to the emails sent to you from our Coordinator Team or call us at (619) 543-3200, option 3.
COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING IN DECEMBER 2023
BENEFITS ORIENTATION (IF APPLICABLE)
If your offer letter indicated that you are benefits-eligible, you are invited to attend a Benefits Orientation via Zoom in December
Benefits Orientations are scheduled on the following Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM: December 12, 14, 19, and 21. These classes are identical. You can attend the one that fits your schedule.
Click here to review our benefits in advance of your Benefits Orientation. Benefits become effective on Day 1 of employment.
Zoom.us or the Zoom App
From Zoom.us or the Zoom App, click on Join A Meeting and enter the Meeting ID below:
- Meeting ID: 860 0697 1008
- Passcode: Benefits
While it is recommended that you attend the live Benefits Orientation via Zoom, there is a pre-recorded benefits presentation as well, but it will not be tailored for employees transitioning from Alvarado Hospital.
INFORMATION SYSTEMS ORIENTATION
You will need to complete self-paced online modules related to Information Services (I.S.) and your Mandatory Annual Education during the month of December 2023.
Information Services Orientation (1.5 hours)
This course provides training for new employees on UC San Diego Health Information Services Technology topics. Some portions of the training may not be applicable to your role; however, we highly recommend viewing the entirety of the course to see if any information may apply to you.
UC Learning Center Overview (30 minutes)
This self-paced learning tutorial will guide you through the UC Learning Center and how to access your required educational modules. Epic is included in this tutorial although it may not apply to all employees. After completing this tutorial, you can begin your assigned modules in the UC Learning Center. This should be completed in early December, allowing you to then complete the assigned modules in the UC Learning Center during the rest of December.
EARLY JANUARY 2024
MEAL BREAKS AND MEAL WAIVER OPTION FOR NON-EXEMPT (HOURLY PAID) EMPLOYEES
Non-exempt employees who provide or support direct patient care in a hospital, clinic, or public health setting are entitled to meal periods as follows:
- Shifts of 5 and up to 10 hours = 1 unpaid, uninterrupted 30-minute meal period.
- Shifts of 10 or more hours = 2 unpaid, uninterrupted 30-minute meal periods.
If you are scheduled to work a shift of no more than 6 hours, you are allowed to waive the meal period. If you are scheduled to work a shift of 10 hours or more, you are able to waive one of your two meal periods. (Example: Many RNs are scheduled for 12-hour shifts. Having two meal periods would result in being at work for 13 hours. If you waive a meal period, it would be 12.5 hours.)
Waiving meal periods is completely optional and can be revoked in the future if the employee desires. To facilitate the waiver process, click here. From this page you will be able to learn more about the waiver process and submit electronically the Meal Period Waiver forms.
GENERAL NURSING ORIENTATION (GNO)
All LVNs and RNs are required to attend via Zoom GNO: An Introduction to Nursing Excellence at UC San Diego Health. If you are an LVN or RN where licensure is not a requirement of your position (per your offer letter and job description), you do not need to attend GNO.
You will be invited at a later time to attend GNO in January. The dates are still being determined.
UCPath is the University of California's HR and Payroll system. After acquiring your computer credentials, you will be required to elect your federal and state withholdings, ethnicity and disability status, and enroll in direct deposit within UCPath. However, you can’t access UCPath until after your first official day of employment on January 1, 2024.
Make Your Selections in UCPath
- Direct Deposit: You can enroll in Direct Deposit by signing into UCPath, clicking on Employee Actions > Income and Taxes > Direct Deposit.
- Federal and State Withholdings: You can access your federal and state withholdings by signing into UCPath, clicking Employee Actions > Income and Taxes > CA State W-4 and > Federal Withholding. If you are working outside of California, you will be sent instructions on how to complete the Out-of-State Income Tax Withholding form.
- Personal Information / Ethnic Group: You can update any personal information including your Legal/Preferred Name, Emergency Contacts, Mailing and Email Addresses, and your Ethnic Groups by logging into UCPath > Employee Actions > Personal Information > Personal Information Summary.
- Patent Acknowledgement: UC employees, persons not employed by the university but who use UC research facilities, and persons who receive gift, grant or contract funds through the university are all required to sign the University Patent Acknowledgment. You can review the Patent Acknowledgement form by logging into UCPath > Employee Actions > Personal information > Patent Acknowledgement.
- Veteran Status: You can select your veteran status by logging into UCPath > Employee Actions > Personal information > Veteran Status.
- Disability Status: You can select your disability status by logging into UCPath > Employee Actions > Personal information > Disability Status.
- Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation Self-Identification: You can self-identify your gender identity and sexual orientation by logging into UCPath > Employee Actions > Personal information > Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation.
- Benefits: You have 31 days from your hire/conversion date to enroll for benefits. Once logged into UCPath, you will navigate to Employee Actions > Health and Welfare > Enroll In Benefits.
New UC San Diego faculty and 100% career staff employees are eligible for a one-time permit valid for 15 days of complimentary parking. (Employees who change appointments, departments or title codes are not eligible for this permit.)
Q: I logged into the parking portal but do not see an option for the temporary free parking permit. What do I do?
To be eligible for the temporary free parking permit, you must be a 100% career employee. If you meet this criteria and are unable to access the temporary free permit online, you may send a help request email to email@example.com.
Q: I am an hourly (non-exempt) employee. How do I clock in and out for my shifts?
If you are a Health System employee, you can find
If it is your first day and you are not able to clock in yet, track your time in a paper timesheet. Sometimes new hire access to Ecotime is delayed by a day or two after an employee’s start date.
UC San Diego embraces the diversity of its employees and takes an inclusive approach to honoring this diversity with dress/uniform and appearance requirements. Priority is given to health and safety, security, and infection control considerations.
- Professional & Safe Attire: Clothes should be neat, clean, and appropriate for the workplace and work duties. Employees are expected to demonstrate good personal hygiene.
- Badges: Your badge photo will be taken during new employee orientation. Employees are expected to wear their I.D. badge while on duty. I.D. badges are to be worn in the upper third of the body, just above the heart, with the employee’s picture and name easily visible to patients and visitors. Lanyards are discouraged.
- Nails: If working in direct patient care or food handling areas, artificial nails, tips and/or fillers including gel, are not allowed. Fingernails must be clean, groomed and moderate length, not exceeding ¼ inch past the fingertips.
More information on our dress code & appearance policy can be found here after you have active directory access, as well as from your department leadership.
Q: What is UCPath?
UCPath unifies and standardizes payroll, benefits, and human resources for all UC employees. It leverages modern technology and centralizes final acceptance of transactions to assure consistency, data integrity and policy compliance across the UC system.
Q: What is the UCPath Self Service portal?
After you have received your access information you will be able to access the UCPath self-service portal. The UCPath self-service portal is a website that gives employees access to their UC employment information. UCPath online provides you the ability to view and update personal information, view paychecks, sign up for direct deposit, update tax withholdings, view or enroll in benefits, see vacation and sick leave balances, and more in a user-friendly interface. Please see the image below regarding the various activities that can be completed within the portal.