Director, ObGyn Services - 118162
As a federally-funded institution, UC San Diego Health maintains a marijuana and drug free campus. New employees are subject to drug screening.
#118162 Director, ObGyn ServicesExtended Review Date: Mon 10/31/2022
UC San Diego values equity, diversity, and inclusion. If you are interested in being part of our team, possess the needed licensure and certifications, and feel that you have most of the qualifications and/or transferable skills for a job opening, we strongly encourage you to apply.
For the safety and well-being of the entire university community, the University of California requires, with few exceptions, that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus and influenza before they will be allowed on campus or in a facility or office. For more information visit: Flu Vaccine Mandate / COVID Vaccine Policy
Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 10/14/2022. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.
Reporting to the Administrative Director, Women & Infants, Urology and Surgical Specialties Strategy, and in collaboration with the Department Chair, Vice-Chair and Physician Leaders, the Director coordinates all operational activities related to providing efficient quality care across outpatient OBGYN and NICU outpatient clinics. Areas of direct and indirect supervision include all ambulatory clinics, imaging centers, and outpatient programs in La Jolla, Encinitas, Rancho Bernardo, Scripps Ranch, Kearny Mesa, Hillcrest, and all offsite locations including all future clinical affiliated sites managed by UC San Diego Health. Additionally, the role will lead oversight of the financial, patient experience, and clinical outcomes of the UCSDH's outpatient OB/GYN and NICU clinics.
POSITION OVERVIEW - Clinic Operations, Strategy and Financial Management
Clinical Operations Management
* The Director ensures physicians and staff have the processes, supplies and technology necessary to deliver the highest quality patient-centered clinical care every day.
* Performance metrics are established, tracked and shared with physicians and staff on a regular basis to improve clinical services and celebrate successes
* Works with managers to determine staffing, supplies, equipment and other resources necessary to establish and maintain top quality clinical programs and patient care services
* Hires the best people, trains appropriately, and coaches to achieve maximum results
* Ensures staff are properly licensed, credentialed, and trained to provide excellent clinical care with an emphasis on outstanding customer service
* Patients are scheduled in a timely and efficient manner by service-oriented staff utilizing existing technology to the fullest extent possible
* Ensures policies and procedures are up to date and develops new ones as necessary
* Ensures compliance with federal, state and local regulations for patient care and represents services during regulatory surveys and licensing visits
* Fosters trusted working relationships with other leaders throughout the organization
* Collaborates with the Clinical Council and Quality Council Groups to understand and improve clinical quality metrics whenever possible
* Partners with the medical directors to achieve annual quality, growth, and cost objectives
* With IT department, oversees the performance and effectiveness of information technologies: including implementation and optimization of EPIC work streams for clinical documentation, billing, and all other related workflows
* Through associations with national organizations and other UC medical centers, keeps up to date on trends in care delivery
* Monitors patient satisfaction through NPS, identifies opportunities for improvement, leads improvement teams, and celebrates successes
* Participates in implementation and execution of operational and quality initiatives related to services in collaboration with the Medical Directors
* Represents service areas in ambulatory initiatives
* Represents outpatient areas for service line projects to identify improved models of care across the continuum of services offered
* Setting and achieving goals and objectives across all services and sites
* Responsible for implementing strategic opportunities for growth and innovation including new technologies and services
* Responsible for the meeting or exceeding outpatient growth goals and leading initiatives to optimize performance across UCSDH
* Collaborates with operational leaders on performance of staff and resources of multiple outpatient and procedural areas, promoting teamwork between/among all clinical areas within the service lines
* Assures alignment of performance, service, and economic incentives
* Responsible for leading efforts to meet and exceed external reporting agencies metrics as defined by service line leadership and UCSDH
* Partners with administrative and clinical leaders to develop appropriate measures with proper benchmarks that will be tracked and reported to improve care, operations, and patient engagement
* Cooperates with clinicians, departments, hospitals, and the OBGYN and other departments to provide an appropriate environment for education and research in outpatient setting
* Ensures compliance with Medical Center, University, State, and federal policies for all areas such as privacy, confidentiality, billing, etc.
* Serves as a role model for the corporate and cultural values of UCSDH and of the service line
* The Director ensures that patient revenue is captured appropriately and care is delivered in a cost effective manner across the service lines
* Ensures the proper and efficient utilization of assets including equipment, supplies and facilities across the service lines
* Analyzes the financial performance of various program elements, determining the impact of new and existing programs on both the UCSD portfolio and health system
* In conjunction with Supply Chain management, ensures cost-competitive acquisition of supplies and other resources required for the provision of patient care services
* Clinical units are appropriately staffed utilizing industry benchmarks and productivity ratios as guidelines
* Collaborates with Revenue Cycle team to ensure that charge master and codes are up to date, denials are kept to industry standard levels and patients are properly registered and authorized for treatment
* Supports the Contracting Department during annual rate negotiations and requests for cash pricing
* Develops annual capital and operating budgets in conjunction with the managers and medical directors. Forecasts for capital needs and monitors inventory closely
* Manages finances on a monthly basis, including budget variance analyses and development of action plans to stay at or below budget.
* Leads efforts in reviewing organizational structure and suggesting new models of restructuring resources available to deliver patient care.
A Bachelor's Degree in business, health administration, or related field and eight (8+) or more years progressive experience in hospital/clinical operations; or equivalent combination of relevant experience, education and training.
Strong clinic/center management experience, with progressive expertise in practice management, scheduling, customer-service methods, incident reporting, regulatory compliance, accreditation requirements, information technology, and the policies, principles, best practices, and standards involved with effective clinical healthcare administration
Strong project management experience. Highly organized with the ability to engage in many projects simultaneously.
Leads others through a proven track record of setting a positive and performance-driven culture.
Demonstrated excellent analytical skills and judgment.
Data driven and goal oriented. Strong data analysis and understanding of relevant metrics.
Model of excellence in customer service.
Superb communication skills. Ability to liaise/build rapport with faculty and staff at all levels.
Excellent listening skills and desire to learn something new every day.
- Advanced degree in relevant field of study.
- Five (5+) or more years in a management role, ideally within a large, complex health system.
- Experience within an academic medical center/health system.
- Lean six sigma certification and experience leading large change initiatives.
- Must pass a background check.
- Must pass physical, drug screen and TB test.
- Must be able to work various hours and locations based on business needs.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
If applicable, life-support certifications (BLS, NRP, ACLS, etc.) must include hands-on practice and in-person skills assessment; online-only certification is not acceptable.
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, the only Burn Center in the county, and and dozens of outpatient clinics. We invite you to join our team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
To foster the best possible working and learning environment, UC San Diego strives to cultivate a rich and diverse environment, inclusive and supportive of all students, faculty, staff and visitors. For more information, please visit UC San Diego Principles of Community.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.