Controller, Physician Group & Population Health - 114392
As a federally-funded institution, UC San Diego Health maintains a marijuana and drug free campus. New employees are subject to drug screening.
#114392 Controller, Physician Group & Population HealthExtended Review Date: Wed 9/21/2022
For the safety and well-being of the entire university community, the University of California requires, with few exceptions, that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus and influenza before they will be allowed on campus or in a facility or office. For more information visit: Flu Vaccine Mandate / COVID Vaccine Policy
Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 02/18/2022. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.
The Controller, Physician Group and Population Health reports directly to the Associate CFO & Health System Controller, the Associate CFO of the Physician Group, and the CFO of Population Health. The Controller oversees a group of accountants, financial analysts and cashiers responsible for ensuring that all Physician Group and Population Health financial statements and reports are prepared accurately and timely in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and University policies and that adequate internal control procedures are in place. Advises senior leadership on accounting issues, the impact of GASB and AICPA pronouncements, oversees activities related to the annual external audit, prepares estimates of net patient revenue, IBNR, provides leadership to UC San Diego Health through participation on the Health System finance teams, and provides consulting services related to financial system applications. This position develops and oversees policies for financial monitoring and control strategies and reviews financial performance and makes recommendations to resolve problems.
· Supports the mission and vision of UC San Diego Health.
· Supervises the operations of the PG/PHSO Accounting department and provides guidance to subordinates within the latitude of established university policies.
· Safeguards the assets of UC San Diego Health.
· Assures PG/PHSO compliance with federal, state and local government laws and regulations, accrediting agency standards, policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
· Prepares monthly financial report for executive leadership and Finance Committee.
· Maintains and utilizes specialized knowledge of accounting principles and practices.
· Reviews and provides logical explanations for monthly, quarterly, and annual variances in general.
· Manages ledger accounts and key statistics.
· Acts as liaison with external stakeholders in providing required financial reports and information.
· Participates in performance improvement activities.
· Develops operating budget for areas of responsibility.
· Ensures department is adequately staffed with qualified personnel.
· Supports professional development of team members.
· Works closely with other Finance Directors and the Associate CFO of the hospital.
· Serves as key advisor to the Health System CFO.
· Maintains compliance with all laws and applicable regulatory requirements.
· Acts promptly to comply with required changes and displays sound fiscal judgment.
· Provides direction to accounting staff according to established policies and procedures.
· Recommends changes to accounting processes, as appropriate, to increase efficiencies.
· Frequently interacts with subordinate supervisors and functional peer groups.
· Regularly participates in interactions to gain cooperation of others, conducts presentations, and exchanges accounting-related information.
· Provides supervision and guidance to staff.
· Oversees analysis and policy development for issues and processes.
· Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in business, finance, health administration or related area and eight (8+) or more years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of experience and training.
Experience and proven success in hospital and/or health system finance and accounting.
Experience and proven success with hospital operational, personnel, and financial transactions and systems.
Extensive executive management experience in complex health care organizations.
Ability to effectively integrate functions with business plans and to accomplish results.
Strong ability to interact effectively with department chairs, faculty, and other members of the medical staff.
Experience and demonstrated ability to maintain a safe and effective workplace.
Excellent communication and team building skills; experience with communications at all organization levels from board and strategic leadership to support functions.
Effective interpersonal skills to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with staff.
Superior leadership, problem solving, team building, and decision-making skills.
Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Advanced degree in finance, accounting or relevant field of study.
- Experience in Academic Health System.
- Oracle experience.
- Epic experience.
- Must pass a background check.
- Must pass physical, drug screen and TB test.
- Must be able to work various hours and locations based on business needs.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
If applicable, life-support certifications (BLS, NRP, ACLS, etc.) must include hands-on practice and in-person skills assessment; online-only certification is not acceptable.
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, the only Burn Center in the county, and and dozens of outpatient clinics. We invite you to join our team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
To foster the best possible working and learning environment, UC San Diego strives to cultivate a rich and diverse environment, inclusive and supportive of all students, faculty, staff and visitors. For more information, please visit UC San Diego Principles of Community.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.