112258 - Senior IT Security Engineer
#112258 Senior IT Security EngineerInitial Review Date: Wed 10/20/2021
For the safety and well-being of the entire university community, the University of California requires, with few exceptions, that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus before they will be allowed on campus or in a facility or office. For more information visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/2021/10/flu-vaccination-requirement-for-uc-students,-faculty-and-staff-issued-for-2021-2022.html
UC San Diego Policy will not allow this position to receive work visa sponsorship.
Fully remote or Hybrid work will be considered.
UC San Diego is ranked the 9th best public university in the nation by U.S. News and World Report and is the largest employer based in San Diego County. Reporting to the VC-CFO, Information Technology Services (ITS) delivers Enterprise information technology services to the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) under the leadership of the campus Chief Information Officer (CIO).
Information Technology Services (IT Services) uses world-class services and technologies to empower UC San Diego's mission to transform California and the world as a student-centered, research-focused, service-oriented public university. As a strategic member of the UC San Diego community, IT Services embraces innovation in their delivery of IT services, infrastructure, applications, and support. IT Services is customer-focused and committed to collaboration, continuous improvement, and accountability.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion are core values at UC San Diego and within Information Technology Services. Crafting a culture around these values allows us to more deeply connect with and appreciate our employees, students, and campus partners. Information Technology Services is continuously working to build a community where we all feel safe, empowered, and encouraged to bring our authentic selves to work. We do this not only because it is what’s right, but because we know that diversity drives insight and innovation. We are proud to partner closely UC San Diego’s Office for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, as their dedication to this mission helps us all to drive change.
The Office of Information Assurance (OIA) (a department within ITS) is responsible for the infrastructure, policies, standards and training necessary to ensure the achievement of the security and privacy goals of the University. Collaborating closely with various campus resources and partners, the department identifies, responds to and mitigates information security/privacy risks, threats and vulnerabilities.
OIA delivers a comprehensive set of enterprise IT security services in the areas of security policy, assessment, compliance, consulting, operations, incident response and risk management. The department is responsible for the design, deployment and administration of network, endpoint, application and information asset protection systems. OIA staff also work closely with the IT Infrastructure and Operations department to provide the campus-wide network/security infrastructure.
- The Senior Security Engineer is responsible for designing, deploying and managing enterprise security solutions utilizing various network, endpoint and cloud technologies.
- The position monitors and responds to security events in the enterprise infrastructure, and drives deployment and integration of security services across the campus.
- The position applies advanced IT security concepts and campus, medical center or Office of the President objectives to resolve broad and / or highly complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
- Selects methods techniques and evaluation criteria to obtain results.
- Advanced knowledge of IT security. Broad experience across a variety of security technologies such as vulnerability management, cloud security, CASB, IDS/IPS, threat detection/response, SIEM, endpoint security, firewalls, and VPNs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of secure hardware, software, and network design techniques.
- Knowledge of vulnerability management and related tools, such as Qualys, Nessus, and AppScan.
- Experience developing in a scripting language such as Python, UNIX Shell, and PowerShell.
- Demonstrated skill at administering complex security controls and configurations to computer hardware, software, and networks.
- Experience with Linux administration, shell scripting, vi, grep, awk, sed, regex, etc.
- Advanced experience using IT security systems and tools. Experience in using security tools and systems such as Snort, Bro, nmap, Wireshark, tcpdump, Splunk, SIEM, etc.
- Knowledge and understanding of public-key infrastructure (PKI), certificates, digital signatures, CAs, CRL, and certificate management operations.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Security, or related field AND four (4) years of related experience in information security in an enterprise environment, OR eight (8) years of relevant experience.
* Professional certifications such as CCIE/CCNP, GIAC, CEH, or ClSSP.* Familiarity with cloud security concepts such as DevSecOps, infrastructure as code, Cloud access security brokers (CASB), and automating security in cloud environments.
Our employees enjoy competitive compensation packages and educational opportunities in a diverse, stimulating workforce. This position is eligible for full: - Health/Dental/Vision Insurance- Vacation/Holidays - Life Insurance- UC Retirement Plan.
For more information about UCSD Benefits visit - http://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/index.html and UCSD Work/Life visit https://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/work-life/index.html
To calculate an approximate value of the UC Total Compensation package, please click here: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/total-compensation-calculator.php
Job offer is contingent on clear background check.Employee must be available to work evenings, weekends, and holidays.Employee must be available to travel as required.Must be willing and able to work on a rotating on-call basis.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.