Strategic Planning Manager - 120021
As a federally-funded institution, UC San Diego Health maintains a marijuana and drug free campus. New employees are subject to drug screening.
#120021 Strategic Planning ManagerExtended Deadline: Tue 12/6/2022
UC San Diego values equity, diversity, and inclusion. If you are interested in being part of our team, possess the needed licensure and certifications, and feel that you have most of the qualifications and/or transferable skills for a job opening, we strongly encourage you to apply.
For the safety and well-being of the entire university community, the University of California requires, with few exceptions, that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus and influenza before they will be allowed on campus or in a facility or office. For more information visit: Flu Vaccine Mandate / COVID Vaccine Policy
Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 11/15/22. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.
The Strategy Office’s Health Sciences Planning team is seeking a Strategic Planning Manager to help lead and manage key strategy and planning efforts, including market and business intelligence support, hospital campus and supporting network development, and enterprise/service line strategy formulation.
The Strategic Planning Manager will partner with other strategic planning team members, plus clinical and administrative leadership, to advance projects and other activities. The individual will frequently act in an independent project leadership role, but will also work collaboratively with other members of the team.
- Develop campus strategic plans and business plans working collaboratively with growth and development executives, service line leaders, and other teams such as finance.
- Use qualitative and quantitative information, perform analyses, synthesize information, and develop reports providing strategic insights and tactical recommendations that support decision-making.
- Lead assessments to identify growth opportunities based on market factors, external/internal demand, and other forces.
- Lead or support major and minor facility projects through clinical services strategy planning, capacity and utilization analyses, and displacement planning.
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of health care market trends and stay abreast of the evolving health care landscape to serve as a resource for planning activities.
- Lead development of recurring deliverables such as the enterprise environmental scan, HCAI inpatient market share report, and competitor/market intelligence publication.
- Provide project management support and expert facilitation for strategy-related councils, committees, and workgroups.
- Create new analytic tools, methodologies, and resources that advance the capabilities of the Planning division.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Nine (9) years or more of related experience, education/training in strategic planning or business development working within a hospital/health system or health care strategy consulting firm, OR a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Health Administration, or a related field plus five (5+) years or more of experience/training in strategic planning or business development working within a hospital/health system or health care strategy consulting firm.
Excellent organizational, project, and process management skills.
Expert written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
Ability to work with all levels of the organization and facilitate diverse teams.
Comfort presenting to groups in-person and virtually.
Ability to function with a high degree of autonomy.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Health Administration, or a related field.
- Experience in strategic planning functions for hospitals/health systems (e.g., demand analysis, forecasting, competitor assessments, best practice research).
- Prior work experience in an academic medical center.
- Expert level skill in quantitative/data analysis, Excel, pivot tables, qualitative/market research, and creating executive-level deliverables in PowerPoint and Word.
- Must be able to work various hours and locations based on business needs.
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check and pre-employment physical.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
If applicable, life-support certifications (BLS, NRP, ACLS, etc.) must include hands-on practice and in-person skills assessment; online-only certification is not acceptable.
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, the only Burn Center in the county, and and dozens of outpatient clinics. We invite you to join our team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
To foster the best possible working and learning environment, UC San Diego strives to cultivate a rich and diverse environment, inclusive and supportive of all students, faculty, staff and visitors. For more information, please visit UC San Diego Principles of Community.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.