Shipboard Instrumentation Group Supervisor - 122800
#122800 Shipboard Instrumentation Group SupervisorFiling Deadline: Wed 6/7/2023
UC San Diego values equity, diversity, and inclusion. If you are interested in being part of our team, possess the needed licensure and certifications, and feel that you have most of the qualifications and/or transferable skills for a job opening, we strongly encourage you to apply.
For the safety and well-being of the entire university community, the University of California requires, with few exceptions, that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus and influenza before they will be allowed on campus or in a facility or office. For more information visit: Flu Vaccine Mandate / COVID Vaccine Policy
UCSD Layoff from Career Appointment: Apply by 5/30/23 for consideration with preference for rehire. All layoff applicants should contact their Employment Advisor.
Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 6/7/23. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.
UNDERSTANDING AND PROTECTING THE PLANET SINCE 1903
Scripps Institution of Oceanography (SIO) at UC San Diego is one of the most important centers for global earth science research and education in the world. Scripps scientists work to understand and protect the planet by investigating our oceans, Earth, and atmosphere to find solutions to our greatest environmental challenges. Scripps leads research in climate change impacts and adaptation, resilience to hazards, conservation and biodiversity, oceans and human health, national security, and innovative technology to observe the planet.
Under general direction from the Oceanographic Technical Services (OTS) Manager, the incumbent supervises operations of the Shipboard Instrumentation Group within Shipboard Technical Support at Scripps Institution of Oceanography. Supervises multiple Instrumentation Technicians in their duties of providing support in the areas of instrumentation and technical support onboard research vessels. Ensures accountability and stewardship of department resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental standards and procedures. Provide operational budgetary recommendations to the OTS manager.
Our employees enjoy competitive compensation packages and educational opportunities in a diverse, stimulating workforce. This position is also eligible for full:
1) Health/Dental/Vision Insurance
3) Life Insurance
4) UC Retirement Plan.
You are encouraged to review additional information about our organization at the following: https://scripps.ucsd.edu/home
About Shipboard Operations and Marine Technical Support: https://scripps.ucsd.edu/ships
NOTE: Salary placement is determined by the top candidate’s overall qualifications/relevant experience, market data and internal equity.
- Thorough knowledge of Oceanographic Instrumentation and shipboard data acquisition systems.
- Strong supervisory skills in hiring of new employees, salary actions, terminations, and performance ratings.
- Thorough knowledge of safety, legal, cultural and regulatory requirements relative to field research responsibility.
- Thorough knowledge of research discipline, principles, concepts, analysis and / or operations being conducted at field / remote sites.
- Thorough knowledge of local customs, facility management and operations at field / remote sites.
- Strong skills in budget preparation and monitoring.
- Strong skills in report preparation and research protocols.
- Strong skills in leadership, interpersonal communication, motivation of staff and team-building.
- Strong computer competency and knowledge of quantitative analysis software.
- Strong ability to develop and maintain strategic relationships and partnerships with remote research partners.
- Experience working in project management and issue tracking environments.
- Ability to write technical documentation in a clear and concise manner.
- Experience with networking hardware and software
- Working knowledge of analog and digital electronics.
- Must pass a background check
- U.S. Passport Required
- Position must obtain a Transportation Worker Identification Credential
- Must be able to travel globally without restrictions
- Must be willing and able to spend up to 4 months at sea annually
Pay Transparency Act
Annual Full Pay Range: $53,600 - $111,600 (will be prorated if the appointment percentage is less than 100%)
Hourly Equivalent: $25.67 - $53.45
Factors in determining the appropriate compensation for a role include experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, and other business and organizational needs. The Hiring Pay Scale referenced in the job posting is the budgeted salary or hourly range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position. The Annual Full Pay Range may be broader than what the University anticipates to pay for this position, based on internal equity, budget, and collective bargaining agreements (when applicable).
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
To foster the best possible working and learning environment, UC San Diego strives to cultivate a rich and diverse environment, inclusive and supportive of all students, faculty, staff and visitors. For more information, please visit UC San Diego Principles of Community.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Reference #: 122800