Senior Software Engineer (Remote) - 118011
#118011 Senior Software Engineer (Remote)Extended Deadline: Tue 12/6/2022
UC San Diego values equity, diversity, and inclusion. If you are interested in being part of our team, possess the needed licensure and certifications, and feel that you have most of the qualifications and/or transferable skills for a job opening, we strongly encourage you to apply.
For the safety and well-being of the entire university community, the University of California requires, with few exceptions, that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus and influenza before they will be allowed on campus or in a facility or office. For more information visit: Flu Vaccine Mandate / COVID Vaccine Policy
This is a Contract/Limited position. This appointment may be extended or converted to career status based on the needs of the department.
UC San Diego Policy will not allow this position to receive work visa sponsorship.
Fully remote or Hybrid work will be considered.
UC San Diego is ranked the 9th best public university in the nation by U.S. News and World Report and is the largest employer based in San Diego County. Reporting to the VC-CFO, Information Technology Services (ITS) delivers Enterprise information technology services to the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) under the leadership of the campus Chief Information Officer (CIO). Information Technology Services (IT Services) uses world-class services and technologies to empower UC San Diego's mission to transform California and the world as a student-centered, research-focused, service-oriented public university. As a strategic member of the UC San Diego community, IT Services embraces innovation in their delivery of IT services, infrastructure, applications, and support. IT Services is customer-focused and committed to collaboration, continuous improvement, and accountability.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion are core values at UC San Diego and within Information Technology Services. Crafting a culture around these values allows us to more deeply connect with and appreciate our employees, students, and campus partners. Information Technology Services is continuously working to build a community where we all feel safe, empowered, and encouraged to bring our authentic selves to work. We do this not only because it is what’s right, but because we know that diversity drives insight and innovation. We are proud to partner closely UC San Diego’s Office for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, as their dedication to this mission helps us all to drive change.
Business Technology Services, a division of IT Services, provides enterprise solutions and application development for the UC San Diego community. We deliver quality and reliable systems and services that help our campus continuously improve business processes. Our combined technical resources allow us to build, integrate, host, and deliver campus-wide enterprise systems for both our campus and collaboratively with other campuses within the UC system. Additionally, the team offers custom integration and application development services, business analysis services and data management services for a variety of departments on the campus.
The Application Development & Integration Services (ADIS) team provides enterprise solutions for the UC San Diego community. We strive to consistently deliver quality and reliable services that help our campus achieve its administrative goals. Our combined technical resources allow us to build, integrate, host, and deliver enterprise services for both our campus and collaboratively with other campuses within the UC system. Additionally, the team offers custom integration and application development services, business analysis services and data management services for a variety of departments on the campus.
Technical leader and integral team member, responsibilities include advanced software concepts and objectives to large scale projects of broad scope and complexity; including researching, designing, developing, modifying, testing, debugging, troubleshooting and maintaining source code. Also having direct or related involvement in designing related databases, user interfaces, integration to other systems/applications, content or multimedia processes. Collaborates with stakeholders, process owners and ITS colleagues to define and execute strategically-aligned project plans. Establishes software development, SDLC and IT standards.
Under the direction of the Director of Application Development, provides leadership and guidance to the team. Serves as a senior member of the unit leadership team consisting of technical experts and functional leaders, supervising professional technical staff and taking responsibility for development and support of campus-wide, mission critical services.
- Applies advanced software concepts and objectives to medium to large projects of broad scope and complexity.
- Regularly resolves highly complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
- Selects tools, methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria to obtain results.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training
- Highly advanced skills associated with software specification, design, modification, implementation and deployment of large-scale scope. Ability to create technical designs and estimates for implementing complex data integrations and software applications that span multiple environments and platforms, such as Cloud, Linux.
- The knowledge and ability to implement authentication and authorization methods, object/entities and relationships.
- Advanced knowledge of frameworks, platforms and tools including: Java, Spring, JPA/Hibernate, Apache NiFi, Airflow, Kafka.
- Advanced database knowledge and design concepts, including tables and data types, stored procedures, views and security.
- Ability to write highly complex queries, define relationships, create objects: tables, views, stored procedures and design indexes.
- Capable of configuring and monitoring connection pools; SQL optimization, manage database changes and deployments with respect to application lifecycle.
- Demonstrated complex problem- solving skills. Ability to investigate and diagnose all aspects of application issues, including security, business logic, database connection, entities, queries, performance, memory management and load issues. Make recommendations to the department on tools and problem solving techniques.
- Advanced knowledge of code repositories, build and deployment process and tool sets, especially as related to Cloud platforms, SaaS and iPaaS. Tools such as git, jenkins, static code analyzers, and binary repos
Our employees enjoy competitive compensation packages and educational opportunities in a diverse, stimulating workforce. This position is eligible for full: - Health/Dental/Vision Insurance- Vacation/Holidays - Life Insurance- UC Retirement Plan.
For more information about UCSD Benefits visit - http://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/index.html and UCSD Work/Life visit https://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/work-life/index.html
To calculate an approximate value of the UC Total Compensation package, please click here: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/total-compensation-calculator.php
Employee must be available to work evenings and weekends.Employee must be available to travel as required.Job offer is contingent on clear background check.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
To foster the best possible working and learning environment, UC San Diego strives to cultivate a rich and diverse environment, inclusive and supportive of all students, faculty, staff and visitors. For more information, please visit UC San Diego Principles of Community.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.