Program Director & Design Strategist - 122037
#122037 Program Director & Design StrategistFiling Deadline: Mon 3/27/2023
UC San Diego values equity, diversity, and inclusion. If you are interested in being part of our team, possess the needed licensure and certifications, and feel that you have most of the qualifications and/or transferable skills for a job opening, we strongly encourage you to apply.
For the safety and well-being of the entire university community, the University of California requires, with few exceptions, that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus and influenza before they will be allowed on campus or in a facility or office. For more information visit: Flu Vaccine Mandate / COVID Vaccine Policy
Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 03/27/2023. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.
The Joan and Irwin Jacobs Center for Health Innovation at UC San Diego Health develops digital solutions that expand what’s possible for healthcare. We facilitate the rapid, disciplined development, testing and implementation of new strategies to reimagine health care delivery, improve patient outcomes, patient and clinician experience, and reduce the cost of care. We believe the best way to make big improvements to patient health and health care delivery is to experiment quickly at low cost, only scaling once we find high impact solutions. The Center provides an exciting and fast-paced opportunity for motivated, entrepreneurial individuals to effect systemic change at UC San Diego Health and across the healthcare industry.
The Program Director and Design Strategist will develop and lead the Center’s human-centered design practice and oversee the portfolio of design projects. This individual collaborates with other Center staff and project partners to apply methods of design and innovation to understand a variety of complex problem spaces and define opportunities for improvement. The Program Director & Design Strategist also leads project strategy to take novel digital health technologies and new models of healthcare delivery from development to scaled impact.
* Designs, develops, leads and continuously improves Center’s human-centered design and innovation methods and practice. Further, develops and leads initiatives and platforms to accelerate innovation across the health system.
* Oversees the design project portfolio and oversees component projects to ensure budget, schedule, scope and performance requirements are met; demonstrates consistent success in driving new initiatives to scaled impact.
* Develops and executes design research strategies to gain new insight and define project objectives; leverages research insights to define measurable project goals; develops actionable strategies to test key hypotheses on how to reach defined targets.
* Develops stakeholder engagement strategies and effectively communicates project goals and progress; collaborates with health system leadership to define project success and garner resources to support interventions at scale.
* Works with Center leadership, stakeholders, and partners to source and define innovative project opportunities.
* Maintains a roadmap and pipeline of funded projects both internally and externally (global reach), including stakeholder management of external partners.
* Acts as an ambassador for human-centered design in healthcare, raising the profile of CHI both within UCSD, UC San Diego Health and other key partners and more widely with potential collaborators and partners - both national and international - through speaking events and publications, and the like.
* Manages design staff, evaluating project and program performances. Manages continuous improvement for project management delivery.
* Mentors and supports the professional development of other CHI staff.
* Demonstrates a commitment to supporting equity, diversity, and inclusion in healthcare.
Bachelor's Degree in design, healthcare, technology, business administration or related field and seven (7+) or more years of relevant experience including innovation and project management, product and service design, human-centered design, healthcare technology and/or digital health, biomedical research large-scale and complex projects and programs, OR an equivalent combination of experience, education and training.
Demonstrated experience and proven success in managing design and innovation projects.
- Advanced degree in relevant field of study
- PMP or similar certification
- Healthcare experience highly preferred
- Experience implementing large scale clinical IT solutions
- Must pass a background check.
- Must pass a pre-employment physical, drug screen and TB test.
- Must be able to work various hours and locations based on business needs.
Pay Transparency Act
Annual Full Pay Range: $87,000 - $202,600 (will be prorated if the appointment percentage is less than 100%)
Hourly Equivalent: $41.67 - $97.03
Factors in determining the appropriate compensation for a role include experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, and other business and organizational needs. The Hiring Pay Scale referenced in the job posting is the budgeted salary or hourly range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position. The Annual Full Pay Range may be broader than what the University anticipates to pay for this position, based on internal equity, budget, and collective bargaining agreements (when applicable).
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
If applicable, life-support certifications (BLS, NRP, ACLS, etc.) must include hands-on practice and in-person skills assessment; online-only certification is not acceptable.
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, the only Burn Center in the county, and and dozens of outpatient clinics. We invite you to join our team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
To foster the best possible working and learning environment, UC San Diego strives to cultivate a rich and diverse environment, inclusive and supportive of all students, faculty, staff and visitors. For more information, please visit UC San Diego Principles of Community.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.
UC San Diego Health maintains a marijuana and drug free environment. Employees may be subject to drug screening.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Reference #: 122037