Principal Research Systems Integration Engineer - 126472
#126472 Principal Research Systems Integration EngineerInitial Review Date: Mon 11/27/2023
UC San Diego values equity, diversity, and inclusion. If you are interested in being part of our team, possess the needed licensure and certifications, and feel that you have most of the qualifications and/or transferable skills for a job opening, we strongly encourage you to apply.
UC San Diego Policy will not allow this position to receive work visa sponsorship.
UC San Diego is ranked the 9th best public university in the nation by U.S. News and World Report and is the largest employer based in San Diego County.
Reporting to the VC-CFO, Information Technology Services (ITS) delivers Enterprise information technology services to the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) under the leadership of the campus Chief Information Officer (CIO).
Information Technology Services (IT Services) uses world-class services and technologies to empower UC San Diego's mission to transform California and the world as a student-centered, research-focused, service-oriented public university. As a strategic member of the UC San Diego community, IT Services embraces innovation in their delivery of IT services, infrastructure, applications, and support. IT Services is customer-focused and committed to collaboration, continuous improvement, and accountability.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion are core values at UC San Diego and within Information Technology Services. Crafting a culture around these values allows us to more deeply connect with and appreciate our employees, students, and campus partners. Information Technology Services is continuously working to build a community where we all feel safe, empowered, and encouraged to bring our authentic selves to work. We do this not only because it is what’s right, but because we know that diversity drives insight and innovation. We are proud to partner closely UC San Diego’s Office for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, as their dedication to this mission helps us all to drive change.
With broad impact across UCSD's billion-dollar research enterprise, Research IT Services provides a variety of digital technology services to faculty, research staff, postdoctoral and graduate students, including all academic departments, schools and divisions and UC San Diego Health. Research IT Services coordinates across campus IT providers (including ITS, SDSC, Calit2, the Library), the Schools, Departments and labs, the Office of Research Affairs, the Office of Contract and Grant Administration, the Office of Post-Award Financial Services, and other critical stakeholders to deliver coordinated services critical to all aspects of the research enterprise. Research IT Services is a research computing and data support team that provides direct outreach and resource recommendations to faculty, conducts investigation & integration of new technologies, and coordinates between campus technology providers to deliver solutions directly to researchers.
As a highly skilled member of the campus’ research IT systems integration team, across the academic/research enterprise: Designs, develops and creates complex and comprehensive, end-to-end technology solutions for research labs across all campus departments/schools. Develops applications and system control software to support demos and proofs of concept to funding agencies. Provides an advanced level of in-depth consultation and in-depth collaboration on complex systems to researchers, labs and academic department staff on digital technologies and their integration. Facilitates rapid creation of prototypes/proofs of concepts for systems in support of grant proposals. Engages with a variety of research labs and on a variety of technologies, with a focus on integrating software/hardware and workflow tools to use high-performance compute & networking, cloud offerings and novel experimental equipment. Expected to stay expert and be a campus leader on new and emerging technology.
- As a campus expert on research IT system integration, across the academic/research enterprise: Designs, develops and creates highly complex and comprehensive, end-to-end technology solutions for research labs across all campus departments/divisions/schools, including but not limited to software/hardware to support high-performance compute and storage, 3D visualization, high-speed data transfer, and integration of multiple services, and performance tuning and network/compute connectivity.
- Provides the highest level of in-depth collaboration on highly complex systems to researchers, labs and academic department staff on digital technologies and their integration.
- Advises on, designs and / or resolves highly complex business processes, system functionality, implementation issues and system and software integration issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors
- Directs the selection of tools, methods, techniques, technologies and evaluation criteria to obtain results.
- Contributes to the technical direction and architecture for technology in one or more specialties. Functions as a technical lead / subject matter expert.
- Performs independent research, prototypes, evaluates and champions new technology including cost / benefit analyses, up to and including the most complex.
- Advanced knowledge of systems integration deploying complex systems integration solutions. Demonstrated advanced ability to integrate software, hardware, and cloud services in a scientific research environment.
- Advanced skills associated with system integration design, modification, implementation, and deployment in a complex environment. Demonstrated ability to integrate and manage high-performance compute/storage /network systems, including experience using and tuning 10G/40G/100G connections, tuning operating systems to maximize data throughput, and managing block-, file-, and object-based storage, and various filesystems (e.g., NFS, ZFS) under Linux.
- Demonstrated ability to create software specifications. Demonstrated advanced ability to develop software, especially system control software, using Python, Unix/Linux shell scripts, and others.
- Demonstrated ability to understand functional needs of the campus / Health Systems and / or UC System and how systems can support those needs.
- Demonstrated ability to interface with senior level technical and non-technical management on a regular basis. Excellent communication skills, particularly written communication. Demonstrated ability keeping technical records and documentation.
Our employees enjoy competitive compensation packages and educational opportunities in a diverse, stimulating workforce. This position is eligible for full: - Health/Dental/Vision Insurance- Vacation/Holidays - Life Insurance- UC Retirement Plan.
For more information about UCSD Benefits visit - http://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/index.html and UCSD Work/Life visit https://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/work-life/index.html
To calculate an approximate value of the UC Total Compensation package, please click here: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/total-compensation-calculator.php
Employee must be available to work evenings and weekends.Employee must be available to travel as required.Job offer is contingent upon satisfactory clearance based on background check results.
Pay Transparency Act
Annual Full Pay Range: $92,600 - $232,200 (will be prorated if the appointment percentage is less than 100%)
Hourly Equivalent: $44.35 - $111.21
Factors in determining the appropriate compensation for a role include experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, and other business and organizational needs. The Hiring Pay Scale referenced in the job posting is the budgeted salary or hourly range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position. The Annual Full Pay Range may be broader than what the University anticipates to pay for this position, based on internal equity, budget, and collective bargaining agreements (when applicable).
If employed by the University of California, you will be required to comply with our Policy on Vaccination Programs, which may be amended or revised from time to time. Federal, state, or local public health directives may impose additional requirements.
To foster the best possible working and learning environment, UC San Diego strives to cultivate a rich and diverse environment, inclusive and supportive of all students, faculty, staff and visitors. For more information, please visit UC San Diego Principles of Community.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.
Job Reference #: 126472