Pathology Supervisor - 115239
As a federally-funded institution, UC San Diego Health maintains a marijuana and drug free campus. New employees are subject to drug screening.
#115239 Pathology SupervisorInitial Review Date: Fri 4/22/2022
For the safety and well-being of the entire university community, the University of California requires, with few exceptions, that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus and influenza before they will be allowed on campus or in a facility or office. For more information visit: Flu Vaccine Mandate / COVID Vaccine Policy
Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 04/22/22. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.
The Anatomic Pathology Supervisor, performs technical tasks and procedures within the Gross Room and Autopsy Services and supervises others' performance of highly specialized technical and skilled preparation including;
· Gross examination, dissection and dictation on biopsies.· Routine and complex surgical specimens.· Select suitable tissues for processing, diagnostic tissue and dictation of tissue description and case information for surgical pathology, and autopsy pathology.· Prepare frozen tissue sections for 'live' diagnostic evaluation by physician and perform muscle biopsy.· Performs administrative tasks ensuring compliance with regulating agencies such as; College of American Pathologists, The Joint Commission, federal, state, and local regulations.
Oversees the work of the gross room assistants, residents, and autopsy assistant. Assists with administrative duties of the department as required. Performs all duties in a manner consistent with current laboratory safety standards. Supervises the all UCSD HS gross room sites and autopsy services.Responsibilities include; coaching of Residents, Gross Room Technicians, and other support personnel, support of the Autopsy Suites, physical upkeep and morgue body reconciliation process at 2 locations, all general supervisory duties for staff, lab operations, workflow and staff assignments. Work closely with Pathologists, Residents, Fellows, clinicians, administrative/ technical leaders of Pathology Labs.
Applies comprehensive knowledge of clinical concepts and industry practices to lead and advise on surgical pathology grossing room techniques in the most complex tests.
Nine (9) years of related experience, education/training, OR a Bachelor’s degree in related area plus five (5) years of related experience/training
Completion of a 2-year Pathologists' Assistant program (NAACLS accredited).
Current ASCP Board certification.
Ability to lead and mentor staff and organize operations.
Skills to perform excellent muscle biopsies and frozen sections.
Ability to continuously improve quality and processes.
Proven interpersonal skills, customer service skills and close teamwork with all levels of team members.
- Ten (10+) or more years in an academic medical setting working with multi-disciplinary team.
- Ten (10+) or more years' experience with complex cases and large-cases (Surgical-Pathology).
- Over five (5+) years of experience in surgical pathology, gross room and autopsy services.
- Over five (5+) years of supervisory experience of laboratory personnel in an academic medical center.
- Must be able to work various hours and locations based on business needs.
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check and pre-employment physical.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, the only Burn Center in the county, and and dozens of outpatient clinics. We invite you to join our team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.