Pathologist Assistant - 116080
As a federally-funded institution, UC San Diego Health maintains a marijuana and drug free campus. New employees are subject to drug screening.
#116080 Pathologist AssistantFiling Deadline: Wed 5/25/2022
For the safety and well-being of the entire university community, the University of California requires, with few exceptions, that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus and influenza before they will be allowed on campus or in a facility or office. For more information visit: Flu Vaccine Mandate / COVID Vaccine Policy
Please note that this position is a part-time appointment
The Per Diem Pathology Assistant independently performs pathology assistant responsibilities in a manner consistent with current laboratory technical and safety standards, in support of and under the direction of the section supervisor and/or Pathologist.
- Under general direction of the supervising Pathologist, prepares surgical specimens for gross description and dissection.
- Describes gross anatomic features, dissects surgical specimens, prepares tissue for histologic examination, and photographs gross specimens.
- Ensures compliance with internal policy and external regulations.
- Troubleshoots or obtains assistance in resolving equipment problems.
- Initiates appropriate labeling procedures and maintains accurate and complete case and specimen identification throughout all procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Completion of a 2-year Pathologists' Assistant program (NAACLS accredited), or similar program.
3-5 or more years of relevant experience.
Current ASCP Board certification.
Experience and proven success with advanced knowledge in pathology theory and industry best practices.
- Must pass a background check.
- Must pass physical and TB test.
- Must be able to work various hours and locations based on business needs.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, the only Burn Center in the county, and and dozens of outpatient clinics. We invite you to join our team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.