Hospital Lab Technician I - 118377
As a federally-funded institution, UC San Diego Health maintains a marijuana and drug free campus. New employees are subject to drug screening.
#118377 Hospital Lab Technician IFiling Deadline: Fri 10/7/2022
For the safety and well-being of the entire university community, the University of California requires, with few exceptions, that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus and influenza before they will be allowed on campus or in a facility or office. For more information visit: Flu Vaccine Mandate / COVID Vaccine Policy
This position is a limited position with the possibility of extension/career conversion.
Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 9/21/22. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.
Under the direction of the supervisor, incumbent performs technical tasks associated with the area to which he/she is assigned in accordance with all applicable policies and procedures. Specific duties in the Microbiology Laboratory will include receipt and processing of clinical specimens submitted for microbiological and molecular diagnostic testing.
Tasks will include receiving specimens from couriers, accessioning specimens in the laboratory information system, processing specimens for culture, inoculation of culture media and smears for microscopic examination, and preparing aliquots for further testing. Additional duties may include supply/inventory management, lab related clerical support, communications with laboratory customers, and other duties as assigned.
Graduation from college with a major in an applicable natural science; or two (2) years of college courses in the natural sciences plus two (2) years of applicable experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
A minimum of one (1) year of experience working in a clinical laboratory setting.
- Bachelor's Degree, or combination of course work and relevant work experience.
- Windows-based computer skills.
- Experience handling and processing blood specimens (centrifugation, pipetting of serum and/or plasma, or operating automated specimen processing instruments).
- Experience working with electronic laboratory information systems (LIS).
- Experience with electronic medical records systems.
- Experience with processing non-blood specimens (sputum, body fluids, culture swabs, etc.) for microbiology testing, including preparing smears and inoculating culture media.
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check and pre-employment physical.
- Must be able to work all shifts, week-ends, overtime, and at various locations as necessary in accordance with operational needs.
- Must be able to sit and stand for extended periods, lift up to 20 pounds, and have sufficient fine motor skills to perform technical tasks associated with the position (pipetting, keyboarding, culture inoculation, etc.).
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
If applicable, life-support certifications (BLS, NRP, ACLS, etc.) must include hands-on practice and in-person skills assessment; online-only certification is not acceptable.
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, the only Burn Center in the county, and and dozens of outpatient clinics. We invite you to join our team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
To foster the best possible working and learning environment, UC San Diego strives to cultivate a rich and diverse environment, inclusive and supportive of all students, faculty, staff and visitors. For more information, please visit UC San Diego Principles of Community.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.