Hospital Lab Technician I - 117646
As a federally-funded institution, UC San Diego Health maintains a marijuana and drug free campus. New employees are subject to drug screening.
#117646 Hospital Lab Technician IInitial Review Date: Mon 8/1/2022
For the safety and well-being of the entire university community, the University of California requires, with few exceptions, that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus and influenza before they will be allowed on campus or in a facility or office. For more information visit: Flu Vaccine Mandate / COVID Vaccine Policy
UCSD Layoff from Career Appointment: Apply by 07/21/2022 for consideration with preference for rehire. All layoff applicants should contact their Employment Advisor.
Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 08/01/2022. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.
Under supervision, performs technical tasks and procedures to include specimen receiving and accessioning, specimen storage, retrieval, send outs and disposal, preventative maintenance of lab and lab equipment, assists in collection of FNA, and assists in frozen section procedure. Performs all duties in a manner consistent with current laboratory safety standards. Additional duties will include inventory and ordering of supplies, timekeeping, clerical, telephone, and communication with laboratory customers, and others to meet the needs of the organization.
- Graduation from college with a major in an applicable natural science; or two (2) years of college courses in the natural sciences plus two (2) years of applicable experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- One (1) year of related high volume lab experience, preferably in a large complex healthcare organization.
- Pathology experience or clinical lab experience.
- Specimen handling experience.
- Reference lab specimen send out experience.
- Bio-hazardous material shipping experience/certification.
- Basic knowledge of FedEx/UPS send out/tracking and ability to multi-task with exceptional record keeping skills to track packages and pending orders.
- Must be able to work all shifts, week-ends, overtime, and at various locations as necessary in accordance with operational needs.
- Must be available to work holidays, weekends, days, evenings, nights, overtime, and on-call.
- May have possible exposure to biological and chemical hazards.
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check and pre-employment physical.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
If applicable, life-support certifications (BLS, NRP, ACLS, etc.) must include hands-on practice and in-person skills assessment; online-only certification is not acceptable.
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, the only Burn Center in the county, and and dozens of outpatient clinics. We invite you to join our team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
To foster the best possible working and learning environment, UC San Diego strives to cultivate a rich and diverse environment, inclusive and supportive of all students, faculty, staff and visitors. For more information, please visit UC San Diego Principles of Community.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.