Grounds Equipment Operator - TP113833
#TP113833 Grounds Equipment OperatorFiling Deadline: Sat 1/22/2022
For the safety and well-being of the entire university community, the University of California requires, with few exceptions, that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus and influenza before they will be allowed on campus or in a facility or office. For more information visit: Flu Vaccine Mandate / COVID Vaccine Policy
Position available through UCSD Temporary Employment Services (TES). Employment through TES is an excellent way to gain valuable UCSD experience and get your foot in the door for career positions. TES employment includes medical coverage, paid vacation & sick time, paid holidays, as well as training and development opportunities!
Under supervision this position will operate ride-on and walk-behind mowers and tractors with aerating and de-thatching attachments or fertilizer spreader. Perform turf care aeration and turf thatch removal. Operate loaders, tractors, dump trucks and pickup trucks to remove and transport thatch debris. Operate turf sweepers to perform core removal during aerating, and thatch removal during de-thatching, and clipping removal after mowing. Follow established specifications to project a rich, well manicured turf. Perform preventive and routine maintenance on related equipment. Assist other grounds work crews with routine grounds and landscape maintenance tasks as necessary.
- One year of experience in the operation of medium to heavy power-grounds equipment such as: ride-on mowers, tractors, turf sweepers, dump trucks and associated attachments, equipment for turf mowing, aerating, de-thatching, and fertilizer spreading or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience performing routine turf and landscape maintenance.
- Experience, ability and/or training in routine and preventive maintenance of medium to heavy power-grounds equipment including performance of minor repairs, which include oil, belt and filter changes, lubrication, replenishing fluid levels when necessary, tires and general cleaning.
- Ability to effectively perform repetitive tasks while maintaining awareness of surroundings for continuous periods (up to 4 hours) on a daily basis.
- Ability to understand and adhere to trade accepted horticulture maintenance standards.
- Basic understanding of mechanical concepts in the area of hydraulics, electrical belts and pulleys, PTO’s, gasoline and diesel engines, air and water cooled engines.
- Demonstrated ability to safely and effectively utilize related hand and power tools.
- Ability to effectively work independently and with diverse teams of people.
- Ability to remain flexible and effectively adjust to changing priorities.
- Ability to follow through and carry out all assignments.
- Problem-solving skills and sound judgement.
- Ability to identify and suggest new ways to improve efficiency or productivity.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate ideas and information orally, in writing and electronically in a manner which is clear and concise.
- Must possess and maintain a valid California Driver License and participate in the DMV Pull Notice Program.
- Pre-employment DMV and Background Check Clearance required.
- Must be physically able to perform all essential functions.
- May be required to work overtime as operationally necessary.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.