General Accountant - Hybrid/ Remote - TP117626
#TP117626 General Accountant - Hybrid/ RemoteFiling Deadline: Fri 8/19/2022
For the safety and well-being of the entire university community, the University of California requires, with few exceptions, that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus and influenza before they will be allowed on campus or in a facility or office. For more information visit: Flu Vaccine Mandate / COVID Vaccine Policy
Position available through UCSD Temporary Employment Services (TES). Employment through TES is an excellent way to gain valuable UCSD experience and get your foot in the door for career positions. TES employment includes medical coverage, paid vacation & sick time, paid holidays, as well as training and development opportunities!
TES has current openings for a variety of financial positions. Most positions are full-time, Monday through Friday between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm, although part-time positions are sometimes available.
Under general direction, performs a wide range of duties including, but not limited to:Financial and management. Gathering statistics, conducting surveys, analyzing data, producing statistical reports. Account reconciliation, responsible for processing reimbursements, payments, purchase orders. Participate in fiscal closing activities. The preparation, processing, and maintenance of financial and accounting transactions, documents, and records. Responsible for the audit and reconciliation of monthly operating ledgers and determines appropriate methods to correct discrepancies, including the preparation of encumbrance adjustments, budget adjustment journals, and transfers of funds. Independently develop and/or oversee research proposals, awards, and/or transactions related to contract and grant management and maintain contract and grant records in compliance with policies. Coordinate and oversee accounting and financial administration of funds.
- General accountant, maintaining accounting records on daily basis, approving financial transactions and analysis, processing accounts receivable and payables, performing account reconciliations, direct retros, reviewing and approving expenses incurred, maintaining general ledgers, resolving account anomalies, processing cost transfers, and analyzing data set for relevant patterns and financial indicators.
- Assemble and publish reports (P&L, Balance, Variance, etc.) for fiscal management including departmental, service agreements and other outside income. Will research and assess internal controls processes and identify issues requiring attention and improvements. Will make appropriate recommendations to create solutions and mechanisms to reduce labor intensiveness, increase use of available automated tools and improve the timeliness, accuracy and quality of the output produced by the Department.
- Uses professional accounting concepts and may train others. Completed accounting assignments that are of moderate scope where analysis of data requires review of a variety of factors and multiple sources.
- Exercises judgement within defined accounting procedures and practices to determine appropriate with internal and external resource/VCHS on a regular basis. Applies policies and procedures to resolve a variety of accounting issues.
- Provides analysis for complex accounting projects. Reviews and analyzes complex recharge rate proposals. Advises and assists with depreciation schedules and calculating and recording differential income.
- Reviews recharge balance sheet and operating statements. Ensures that numbers in the proposal are the same as those used in the financial statements and confirm ledger data.
- Assist in managing process for reviewing recharge activities funds balances and expenditures twice a year.
TES also provides staffing coverage for a wide variety of higher-level positions in administration and business/program operations. Assignments are typically long-term on a full-time schedule. Candidates interested in being considered for potential future openings should submit their applications to this job posting.
Experience with financial data management and reporting systems. Skill in coordinating analysis of complex accounting data, performing comprehensive reconciliation, communication of results to management, and resolution of complex accounting problems.
BA Accounting or equivalent work experience. Intermediate to advance knowledge of Excel and pivot tables.
A background check is required.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
To foster the best possible working and learning environment, UC San Diego strives to cultivate a rich and diverse environment, inclusive and supportive of all students, faculty, staff and visitors. For more information, please visit UC San Diego Principles of Community.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.