Food Service Worker - 118792
#118792 Food Service WorkerFiling Deadline: Thu 9/29/2022
For the safety and well-being of the entire university community, the University of California requires, with few exceptions, that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus and influenza before they will be allowed on campus or in a facility or office. For more information visit: Flu Vaccine Mandate / COVID Vaccine Policy
UCSD Layoff from Career Appointment: Apply by 09/19/2022 for consideration with preference for rehire. All layoff applicants should contact their Employment Advisor.
Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 09/29/2022 Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.
THIS IS A PARTIAL-YEAR CAREER POSITION (70%).
Semi-skilled individual who works under close supervision. Areas of work responsibility include any of the following: food preparation, banquets, dish room, storeroom, dining room bussing, equipment, delivery of food, cashiering, customer service, and operation of food carts. Responsible for courteously providing food services to co-workers, students, staff, faculty, and guests. Must have a valid California Driver’s License, good driving record, and participate in the DMV pull program.
Housing Dining Hospitality (HDH) is a self-funded, large and complex campus department consisting of 7 divisions, with over 700 career employees, 1000 to 1200 student employees and an annual operating budget greater than $256 million. HDH provides housing for approximately 18,000 undergraduates, grad students, faculty, staff, and their families in over 400 buildings covering over 8 million sq. ft. HDH is implementing an aggressive building plan which added 10,000 new beds in the next ten years and will almost double our square footage by 2032.
HDH houses 38% of UCSD’s enrolled students with a goal of housing 65% by 2032. HDH provides maintenance and repair, contract meals/meal plan management, retail food service, conference services, and catering services to residents, students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors.
Housing/Dining/Hospitality commits to facilitating an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment, fostering a sense of belonging for our students and staff. As HDH, we understand, that each unique individual with varied thoughts and experiences is what makes our department strong. Aligning with UC San Diego’s Office for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion strategic goals, Housing/Dining/Hospitality is proud to promote and create opportunities for greater equity, diversity, and inclusiveness within our division.
Skill in organizing work and materials for maximum productivity.
Skill to interact and communicate positively with other staff and customers.
Ability to listen to directions and follow basic instructions.
Ability to understand basic sanitation requirements related to personal hygiene, food handling, and equipment safety and sanitation.
Ability to absorb new information and build new skills in food handling, cash handling, sanitation, and safety.
Ability to read instructions, schedules, and evaluations.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
Ability to lift and carry 25 to 50 pounds.
Knows and follows University and Dining Services policies, including cash handling.
- Job offer is contingent upon satisfactory clearance based on background check results.
- Employee will be scheduled to work an average 70% annually. This position is subject to furlough (June-September and could be scheduled for up to 90 days) and curtailment periods (spring and winter holiday breaks where operations are suspended up to 21 days due to the academic calendar).
- Operating needs of the department require varied work schedules (i.e., a.m., p.m., and/or weekend shifts and/or 10-hour workday).
- Employees may be required to take off (vacation or temporary layoff) during scheduled operational shutdown periods, such as Christmas, Spring & Summer breaks.
- Health codes require prescribed uniforms, hair covering, and good personal hygiene.
- Meal schedules require extreme attention to promptness and excellent attendance.
- Meal prerequisite is required for all Dining Services employees.
- Employees may be required to change work location daily as needed or for an indefinite time period.
- Must possess a valid California Drivers license to drive a University vehicle and be able to participate in the DMV Pull program.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
To foster the best possible working and learning environment, UC San Diego strives to cultivate a rich and diverse environment, inclusive and supportive of all students, faculty, staff and visitors. For more information, please visit UC San Diego Principles of Community.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.