Director, Revenue Cycle Continuous Improvement - 113123
As a federally-funded institution, UC San Diego Health maintains a marijuana and drug free campus. New employees are subject to drug screening.
#113123 Director, Revenue Cycle Continuous ImprovementExtended Review Date: Mon 1/10/2022
For the safety and well-being of the entire university community, the University of California requires, with few exceptions, that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus and influenza before they will be allowed on campus or in a facility or office. For more information visit: Flu Vaccine Mandate / COVID Vaccine Policy
Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 12/16/2021. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.
The Director, Revenue Cycle Continuous Improvement oversees the areas of business analytics, training and project management for the revenue cycle. This position is responsible for working with the directors within the revenue cycle to ensure that they have the tools and data needed to maintain and improve their key performance indicators. This position also acts as primary liaison with information services on projects and open tickets.Contributes to short and long range planning for revenue cycle management criteria, processes, tools and systems. May include oversight of business office functions. Develops, modifies, and implements policies that affect revenue cycle functions throughout the medical center. Establishes department-wide goals, budgets and staffing plans. Erroneous decisions or failure to achieve goals results in additional costs and serious delays in achieving objectives and goals.
* Works with senior management to develop and implement strategic plans and objectives for healthcare revenue cycle management across the medical center. Sets goals and priorities to accelerate billing, reimbursement, payment, and other functions to maximize revenues. Manages substantial projects and ensures the quality, effectiveness, compliance, and financial soundness of new programs and initiatives.
* Analyzes functionality, quality, and efficiency of revenue cycle management systems from a best practices standpoint. Utilizes metrics and analytics to track and assess revenue cycle performance and progress in integration of revenue-related functions.
* Maintains responsibility for employee performance reviews, recruitment, retention, terminations, staff development programs, and implementation of quality improvement practices. Instills strong management practices among subordinate managers to create a culture of teamwork, effective collaboration, and timely achievement of objectives.
* Leads project teams to evaluate needs, establish processes and coordinate work flows with admitting/ registration, charge master, decision support, reimbursement, medical records, business office and clinical departments. Develops processes and systems emphasizing innovation and automation across the revenue cycle, including accounts receivable management, claim production and submission, payment applications and data management.
* Applies expertise and experience in healthcare revenue management systems to inform and guide senior management on the development of strategic plans, objectives, quality improvement programs, state-of-the-art advances in revenue cycle workflows and processes, and the latest industry trends and developments.
* Ensures reporting databases or systems are in place to meet the needs of staff, physicians, executives and department management.
* Oversees the development of training goals, plans, and materials to ensure departments maintain compliance with coding and procedures.
* Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in business, healthcare administration or related area and eight (8) years of relevant experience, OR a combination of equivalent experience, education and training.
Experience and proven success in knowledge of healthcare revenue cycle operations, concepts, and policies and their impact throughout the organization, with an in-depth understanding of related functions and issues, including coding, registration, billing, reimbursements, aging accounts, contractual adjustments, and charge capture.
- Advanced degree in business or other relevant field of study.
- Experience managing others, ideally in process improvement roles.
- Experience in academic medicine and/or large, complex health system.
- LEAN certification and experience.
- Proven experience leading large-scale change initiatives.
- Excellent communicator, both written and verbal. Ability to convey complex concepts and build rapport across the organization.
- Must pass a background check.
- Must pass physical, drug screen and TB test.
- Must be able to work various hours and locations based on business needs.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, the only Burn Center in the county, and and dozens of outpatient clinics. We invite you to join our team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.