Clinical SQL Data Source Developer - 109939
As a federally-funded institution, UC San Diego Health maintains a marijuana and drug free campus. New employees are subject to drug screening.
#109939 Clinical SQL Data Source DeveloperInitial Review Date: Tue 11/2/2021
For the safety and well-being of the entire university community, the University of California requires, with few exceptions, that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus and influenza before they will be allowed on campus or in a facility or office. For more information visit: Flu Vaccine Mandate / COVID Vaccine Policy
Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 07/02/2021. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.
This position will remain open until filled.
UC San Diego Health is seeking a Value Based Care Clinical SQL Data Source Developer responsible for architecting, developing, and optimizing highly performant and complex SQL-based reporting data sources (e.g., data marts) from Epic EHR and external data in our enterprise data warehouse. This position is part of a collaborative data team with business analysts, data visualization developers, and ETL developers. Familiarity with querying from Ambulatory (e.g., clinical encounters, clinical episodes), Tapestry (e.g., referrals and claims), and Healthy Planet (e.g., registry) data is strongly preferred. The Value Based Care Clinical SQL Data Source Developer reports to the Value Based Care Analytics Manager in the Information Services department.
UC San Diego Health’s Value Based Care programs aim to advance the Quadruple Aim- the simultaneous improvement of patient outcomes, patient experience, provider experience, and reduction of cost of care. Insightful and timely analytics directly drives clinical and operational population health efforts to achieve all four outcomes in a program scalable in the community across county lines.
Ideal candidates will be highly experienced in:
- Designing and developing complex, consistent (e.g., data integrity and governance), and highly performant denormalized SQL data sources (tables and views) from requirements documented by business analysts and data visualization developers.
- Developing and automating multi-step stored procedures with audit code to track data source integrity and performance.
- Optimization of SQL code to meet department guidelines on system performance using techniques like Common Table Expressions (CTE) and executing functions.
- Development in a data warehouse environment collaborating with ETL developers on incorporating external data from stage tables and optimizing cross-database query performance.
- Developing detailed test plans validating their data sources to comparable data sources, reference measures, or previously validated reports
- Performing and participating in peer code reviews
Clinical Informatics Specialist
Involves the development and implementation of the organization's information systems and tools that are applied to clinical information. Works closely with clinicians across all hospital/ healthcare departments to optimize effective use of systems. Coordinates analytical support for health management, including profiling, health economics, and business analytics/performance metrics. Defines systems and applications to support various functions. May provide customer service, troubleshooting and maintenance.
Technical leader with a high degree of knowledge in the overall field and recognized expertise in specific areas; problem-solving frequently requires analysis of unique issues/problems without precedent and / or structure. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy.
Clinical Informatics Specialist 4
Applies advanced professional clinical informatics concepts and extensive knowledge of industry practices to projects of all levels of scope and complexity.
- Collaborates with business, technical, and clinical leaders to plan, develop, implement, and analyze highly-complex clinical informatics systems, and to design integrated architecture to ensure an optimal and efficient user experience and functionality, integrity, and reliability of systems.
- Serves as a technical leader in collaborating with business operations, healthcare clinicians, and IT applications and technical teams to translate operations workflow and patient experience objectives into technical requirements.
- Leads project teams that include advanced business and clinical staff to improve clinical informatics results and to provide advice and sophisticated metrics and analytics to support management’s decision-making processes for systems modifications that are cost-effective, scalable, and meet present and future needs.
- Performs highly-complex quality assurance testing, designs and runs SQL (Structured Query Language) queries for enhanced and complex medical data access, and plans, develops, and writes documentation of design and deployment processes, workflows, and results.
- As a technical leader and information resource, may provide support, troubleshooting, and problem solving at an advanced level, and may produce and deliver user training curricula.
- Other duties as assigned.
Nine (9) years of related operational experience, education/training, working with population health management programs (e.g., enrollment, capitation, ambulatory, care management, social determinants of health, ambulatory quality) and technical experience developing SQL based reports.; OR a Bachelor’s Degree in related area plus five (5) years of related operational experience/training, working with population health management programs (e.g., enrollment, capitation, ambulatory, care management, social determinants of health, ambulatory quality) and technical experience developing SQL based reports.
Professional experience and proven success performing clinical workflows, user interface optimization, clinical decision support, rules development, data integration and mining, clinical ontologies and adoption of technology.
- Certification, knowledge, and experience working with EPIC data especially Caboodle but definitely Epic Clarity.
- Expert experience in multiple Epic data models such as Ambulatory, Referrals, Tapestry, etc.
- A high level of proficiency in SQL programming is required and experience in creating views, stored procedures/automation, and SSIS.
- Comfortable working on a highly collaborative team with operations and technical resourcesFamiliarity with Agile development, Software Development Life Cycles (SDLC), Product Development Life Cycles (PDLC), and waterfall implementation methodologies.
- Must be willing to work various hours and locations based on business needs.
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check and pre-employment physical.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, the only Burn Center in the county, and and dozens of outpatient clinics. We invite you to join our team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.