Administrative & Business Ops Asst. -Hybrid/Remote - 118846
As a federally-funded institution, UC San Diego Health maintains a marijuana and drug free campus. New employees are subject to drug screening.
#118846 Administrative & Business Ops Asst. -Hybrid/RemoteExtended Deadline: Mon 12/19/2022
UC San Diego values equity, diversity, and inclusion. If you are interested in being part of our team, possess the needed licensure and certifications, and feel that you have most of the qualifications and/or transferable skills for a job opening, we strongly encourage you to apply.
For the safety and well-being of the entire university community, the University of California requires, with few exceptions, that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus and influenza before they will be allowed on campus or in a facility or office. For more information visit: Flu Vaccine Mandate / COVID Vaccine Policy
UCSD Layoff from Career Appointment: Apply by 09/16/2022 for consideration with preference for rehire. All layoff applicants should contact their Employment Advisor.
Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 9/28/2022. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.
This position will work a hybrid schedule which includes a combination of working both onsite in La Jolla and remote. (after initial onboarding period)
Under supervision, serve as Business Operations Assistant for the Department of Neurological Surgery. Responsible for providing administrative support and providing support involving several functional areas including operations and communications. Act as a point of contact for interactions with the Health System, School of Medicine, Health Sciences, VAMC, Shared Services, external agencies, etc. Provide administrative support to the Department Business Officer (DBO) and Executive Director (ED), as well as assist the Chair's Executive Assistant and function as the primary back-up executive level administrative support for the Office of the Chair.
Interface with staff, faculty, clinical team and others on department issues and activities. Responsible for assisting with faculty, clinical physician, APP and staff recruitments and new appointments. Manage multiple complex calendars, meeting/event coordination, travel arrangements, new faculty relocation, purchasing and other needs as required. Serve as a resource on standard operating procedures, analyze and interpret various policies, manuals, reports, regulations and guidelines ensuring adherence and compliance. Handle highly sensitive and confidential matters.
Demonstrated ability to research, compile and report information for a variety of sources in an efficient manner, experience to independently formulate and compose original correspondence, reports, summaries etc., proofread work, and use proper English and grammar for manuscript preparation. Ability to correct work performed by others.
Proven experience working and providing high level administrative/financial support in a department business office or similar environment with oversight for an entire unit/department.
Experience to effectively maintain multiple calendars, arrange meetings/events, and schedule appointments/events.
Effective interpersonal skills including tact, diplomacy and flexibility with the ability to work in a team framework in conjunction with principles of community with diverse academics, staff, professionals, the public, and patients.
Excellent verbal, written, and electronic communication skills that facilitate professional, effective, and courteous interaction with a diverse population. Demonstrated ability to effectively compose, edit and proofread letters, memoranda, minutes of meetings, and summary reports with clear and concise expression, proper grammar, style, and punctuation
Working knowledge of government and/or university regulations, policies and procedures relating to purchasing, travel, relocations, and expense reimbursements.
Proven ability to interpret policies and procedures, to propose solutions and apply them. Demonstrated ability to extract, compile, analyze and effectively present pertinent information to others in an effective and easy to understand fashion.
Solid computer skills using MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, email system, and a variety of web-based programs. Ability to create and maintain databases, perform standard computer tasks, learn new programs/applications with minimal direction, and exercise fast and accurate typing skills. Commitment to update/maintain technology skills with relevant computer software.
- Knowledge of UC policies and procedures as they relate to areas of Fiscal, Payroll, Timekeeping, Human Resources, Travel and Reimbursements. Familiar with online systems including FinancialLink, Payroll/Personnel System (PPS), EmployeeLink, Blink, TravelLink, online timekeeping, etc.
- Working knowledge of basic accounting principles combined with work experience in a fiscal or financial role including, but not limited to, budgeting, reconciliations, financial analysis, projections, forecasting expenditures, interpret ledgers/data, and grant management.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Demonstrated ability to develop, organize and implement effective orientations, presentations, departmental processes and procedure manuals, etc.
- Working knowledge of formats, agency regulations strict guidelines, procedures and deadlines for preparation and submission of contracts and grants proposals to federal, state and private agencies.
- Knowledge of academic review process and preparation of academic review documents (i.e. cv, biosketches, etc.).
- Experience working with a broad scope of academic/staff personnel and human resource related issues including recruitment, staffing, payroll, performance evaluations, employment and immigration laws, and visas.
- Experience and proven ability to provide a high level of independent, administrative, fiscal and human resources support in a scientific, research and academic setting and for multiple faculty. Proven ability to perform at a high level of proficiency and competency.
- Knowledge and basic understanding of medical/scientific terminology.
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check.
- Must be able and willing to work overtime in peak times or for special projects.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
If applicable, life-support certifications (BLS, NRP, ACLS, etc.) must include hands-on practice and in-person skills assessment; online-only certification is not acceptable.
UC San Diego Health Sciences is comprised of our School of Medicine, Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, The Herbert Wertheim School of Public Health and Human Longevity Science, and our Student Health and Well-Being Department. We have long been at the forefront of translational - or "bench-to-bedside" - research, transforming patient care through discovery and innovation leading to new drugs and technologies. Translational research is carried out every day in the hundreds of clinical trials of promising new therapies offered through UC San Diego Health, and in the drive of our researchers and clinician-scientists who are committed to having a significant impact on patient care. We invite you to join our team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
To foster the best possible working and learning environment, UC San Diego strives to cultivate a rich and diverse environment, inclusive and supportive of all students, faculty, staff and visitors. For more information, please visit UC San Diego Principles of Community.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.