112495 - Sterile Processing Supervisor - La Jolla
As a federally-funded institution, UC San Diego Health maintains a marijuana and drug free campus. New employees are subject to drug screening.
#112495 Sterile Processing Supervisor - La JollaInitial Review Date: Tue 11/2/2021
For the safety and well-being of the entire university community, the University of California requires, with few exceptions, that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus and influenza before they will be allowed on campus or in a facility or office. For more information visit: Flu Vaccine Mandate / COVID Vaccine Policy
UCSD Layoff from Career Appointment: Apply by 10/22/2021 for consideration with preference for rehire. All layoff applicants should contact their Employment Advisor.
Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 11/2/2021. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.
Reporting to the UC San Diego Health System Sterile Processing Department (SPD) manager and working closely with the Perioperative Nursing leadership of the Hillcrest (HC) campus and its (11) Operating Rooms (ORs), this position is responsible for supervising the PM shift of the SPD staff. This position supervises unit operations to ensure compliance with departmental or organizational policies, procedures, and defined internal controls. Ensures accountability and stewardship of department resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental standards and procedures.
The La Jolla SPD Supervisor applies knowledge, skill, and experience in SPD to supervise activities of sterile processing technicians and other support staff performing routine sterile processing procedures. Coordinates schedules and assigns work. Ensures assignments are completed and timelines are met. Responsible for work quality ensuring sterile processing protocols are followed. Provides input to management on personnel issues and daily operations.
The key responsibilities of this supervisory position include:
- Supervises and schedules the daily activities of subordinate central sterile staff overseeing work quality and productivity.
- Trains subordinates on sterile processing procedures and provides daily guidance and direction. Develops unit schedule ensuring staffing meets supply and service needs. Consults with management on daily operations, providing input on process productivity and quality improvements.
- Oversees central sterile supply inventory and routine maintenance and calibration of equipment and instruments.
- Identifies and troubleshoots equipment performance issues determining need for service and/or repairs.
- Participates in creating, updating, modifying, and improving departmental processes and operational infrastructure. Participates in decision-making on hiring, promotions, increases, discipline, and other personnel matters.
Seven (7) years of related SPD experience, education/training, OR a Bachelor’s Degree in business, healthcare administration or related area plus three (3) years of relevant SPD experience/training.
Demonstrated ability to supervise staff, assign work, manage complex workflows, and competing priorities.
- SPD experience at a Trauma Center.
- One (1+) year or more of recent supervisory or management experience.
- Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) certification or Certification Board for Sterile Processing Department (CBSPD) certification.
- Must be able to work various hours and locations based on business needs.
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check and pre-employment physical.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, and several outpatient clinics. UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest is a designated Level I Trauma Center and has the only Burn Center in the county. We invite you to join our dynamic team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.