110445 - Functional Payroll Analyst
As a federally-funded institution, UC San Diego Health maintains a marijuana and drug free campus. New employees are subject to drug screening.
#110445 Functional Payroll AnalystInitial Review Date: Fri 11/12/2021
For the safety and well-being of the entire university community, the University of California requires, with few exceptions, that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus and influenza before they will be allowed on campus or in a facility or office. For more information visit: Flu Vaccine Mandate / COVID Vaccine Policy
UCSD Layoff from Career Appointment: Apply by 07/13/21 for consideration with preference for rehire. All layoff applicants should contact their Employment Advisor.
Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 07/23/21. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.
This position will remain open until filled.
The Functional Analyst will work within Health Timekeeping Services (HTS) and report directly to the HTS Supervisor. This critical role will be the first point of contact for timekeeping and payroll-related inquiries servicing UC San Diego Health System employees. This role requires critical thinking, analytical, and problem-solving skills to research, analyze, and identify root causes to resolve a wide-range of complex timekeeping and pay-related issues. The incumbent must possess knowledge and experience as a payroll/timekeeping subject matter expert.
The role requires exceptional customer services skills while balancing adherence to complex policies, collective bargaining agreements, and procedures to respond to all levels of inquiries. The Functional Analyst will work independently as well as collaboratively with internal team members, employees and timekeepers from various departments, and other central and system-wide entities. The role will partner with stakeholders to identify and develop processes, as well as proactively evaluate compliance and process improvements/gaps.
Depending on payroll deadlines, this role will require occasional work on weekends and some holidays.
- Effectively uses ServiceNow Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tool to manage and prioritize competing issues/cases to ensure timely response and issue resolution for stakeholders.
- Ability to comprehend and leverage technical and functional knowledge of CRM, Timekeeping/Payroll, and Oracle PeopleSoft application tools to perform necessary analysis to resolve complex issues.
- Ability to translate technical and/or complex issues into easy-to-understand explanations to stakeholders.
- Ability to build strong working relationships with clients by actively listening to understand their needs.
- Leverage relationships and understanding of client needs to institute processes, procedures, and partnerships that will improve client satisfaction and prevent service issues from occurring.
- Ability to effectively prioritize competing priorities and resolve escalated pay-impacting issues in a timely manner.
- Ability to triage complex problems across multiple systems to gather required data and perform analysis.
- Ability to analyze and resolve problems quickly due to deep knowledge of timekeeping and payroll.
- Ability to recognize cross functional data impacts and collect pertinent details to better understand problems and identify opportunities for improvement through training or effective communication.
- Ability to convey information and ideas clearly, concisely, and in an engaging manner that helps the targeted audience understand and retain the message.
- Ability to effectively communicate to a broad and diverse audience and tailor approach based on circumstances.
Six (6) years of related experience, education/training, OR a Bachelor’s degree in related area plus two (2) years of related experience/training.
Experience with and thorough knowledge of payroll processes, policies and procedures, andorganization-specific computer application programs.
Knowledge and experience with customer service working in an internal payroll/timekeeping shared service or call center environment as a subject matter expert, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Proven skill in analyzing information or procedures, understanding up and downstream impacts, defining problems or objectives, formulating logical and objective conclusions, and recognizing alternatives and their implications.
Demonstrate strong analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills to effectively research and extract pertinent data and information from multiple sources to provide guidance and/or resolve issues.
Exceptional writing skills to clearly, concisely, and logically articulate ideas, using appropriate editorial style and grammar; ability to translate technical information and concepts into easily understandable language for a diverse audience.
Effective interpersonal skills to interact effectively and diplomatically with faculty, staff, administrators, and co-workers and to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with other staff members, subordinates, and managers.
Strong knowledge of pertinent computer application programs, including University-specific applications and databases, departmental applications, word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint, and email. Ability to work in a highly-computerized environment, and must have the ability to add and update knowledge and skills as needed to meet the direction of the organization.
- Experience and proficiency in PeopleSoft and ServiceNow tools.
- Working knowledge of university staff personnel policies and collective bargaining agreements related to, or having impact upon, time and attendance functions.
- Must be able to work various hours and locations based on business needs.
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check and pre-employment physical.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, and several outpatient clinics. UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest is a designated Level I Trauma Center and has the only Burn Center in the county. We invite you to join our dynamic team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.