110200 - (LVN) Licensed Vocational Nurse - Med/Onc PCU
As a federally-funded institution, UC San Diego Health maintains a marijuana and drug free campus. New employees are subject to drug screening.
#110200 (LVN) Licensed Vocational Nurse - Med/Onc PCUInitial Review Date: Thu 10/21/2021
For the safety and well-being of the entire university community, the University of California requires, with few exceptions, that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus before they will be allowed on campus or in a facility or office. For more information visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/2021/10/flu-vaccination-requirement-for-uc-students,-faculty-and-staff-issued-for-2021-2022.html
This position has been changed from an internal UCSD posting to external as of 10/14/2021. All applicants are welcome to apply.
UC San Diego Health is a Magnet designated organization, which is a prestigious recognition that applies to only 10% of all U.S. hospitals. Magnet is the "gold standard" for nursing excellence and is based on strengths in five key areas, which include transformational leadership, structural empowerment, exemplary professional practice, new knowledge, innovation and improvements and empirical outcomes. UC San Diego Health has held its Magnet status since 2011.
Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) for Jacobs Medical Center at UC San Diego Health for 5FG. The fifth floor (5FG) of Jacobs Medical Center is a 24-bed Medical Oncology/Palliative Care PCU (Progressive Care Unit).
The 5FG unit has a 12-bed pod dedicated to patients in need of aggressive symptom management. Nurses work closely with a multi-disciplinary palliative care team. A holistic approach is used to relieve physical, psychosocial, emotional or spiritual suffering.
Under the direct supervision of a registered nurse in the Medical Oncology/Palliative Care PCU, the LVN performs a wide variety of patient care activities in support of unit activity. This includes prioritizing and assisting in patient triage processing, preparation and assistance with patient examinations, administering medications, drawing blood, collecting and preparing laboratory tests, and patient education. Position requires initiative, able to prioritize critical demands and the ability to work in a team environment.
Depending on experience of the selected candidate, this position will be hired at the LVN or Sr. LVN level.
- Completion of educational requirements for licensure as a licensed vocational nurse.
- Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) issued by the state of California.
- Current BART certification, or BLS at time of hire with commitment to get BART within six months of hire date.
- Recent acute care LVN experience (minimum of two years LVN experience required for Sr. LVN role).
- Knowledge of universal precautions and proper use of body mechanics.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, prioritize critical demands and work in a team environment.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing, and ability to articulate complex ideas for all levels of audiences.
- ACLS and/or ART.
- Certification in Intravenous Therapy issued by the state of California (LVN IV).
- Medical Oncology acute care experience.
- Palliative Care experience.
- Experience working in an inpatient acute care environment.
- Experience working in a large healthcare setting.
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check and pre-employment physical.
- Must be able to work various hours, days, shifts, on-call and various locations based on the 24-hour Medical Center's business needs.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, and several outpatient clinics. UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest is a designated Level I Trauma Center and has the only Burn Center in the county. We invite you to join our dynamic team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.